vintage inspiration: a dash of Downton

Ah… Downton Abbey… Here in the US we just finished season three, and what a season! I’m still not sure how I feel about the turn of events throughout the season; especially the final one (I shan’t spoil it for you if you haven’t caught up on things!). But let’s talk about something on a lighter note, shall we? One of the appeals of the show is the gorgeous clothing. While I adored the elegant styles of the 1910s, the early 20s is one of my favorite periods in fashion history (after the 40s and 50s that is!). The styles were such a radical departure from previous eras, but still maintained much of that feminine charm in detail and trim. I wanted to share some of my favorite scans that I’ve shared previously here, just in celebration (or mourning…) of the end of season 3 of Downton!

09.04.09 {1920s "wash" skirts}

09.26.11 | 1920 fashions

06.19.09 {1920s serviceable styles}

09.17.09 {1921 catalog advertisement}

Thank you for all the sweet inquiries of late about mine and the baby’s health! We’ve both been getting excellent reports when I’ve been to see my midwife, and I’m now 36 weeks along (nearly full term!), which means the end is near. SH is going to help with the last of the nursery set-up (I can’t reach to hang pictures quite as well as I used to… lol.), and then I’m hoping to get some decent snapshots to share with you in the next week or two. Let’s just say there is a lot of vintage influence (surprise!) in the space, loads of vintage floral prints, and soft colors. Heck, I want to live in there! hehe.

Have a lovely weekend!

P.S. I’ve posted some lovely 1920s inspiration previously that you might want to take a peek at!

February 22, 2013 · 22 lovely thoughts
posted in vintage inspiration · tags: ,

Sarra Bess February 22, 2013 at 08:46

Whenever I see 20s fashion I think of my great-grandmother telling my mother, when she was a teenager, “You’re so lucky. When I was your age, I had to bind my bosom!”

Denise February 22, 2013 at 08:46

I’m loving how the first ad says for “regular and stout” sizes. =)

Can’t wait to see snippets of the baby’s room.

Stephanie February 22, 2013 at 09:02

How lovely! I used to avoid the 20s like the plague but now that I know it’s not all completely shapeless and flapper girls, I think I could pull off some of these looks where there is some kind of waist definition.

Diane @ Vintage Zest February 22, 2013 at 09:20

First of all thank you for not spoiling it, I am halfway through the last episode of 2 hours and am so antsy to finish it without having too much revealed beforehand! As for the fashion of the 1920s, I love the looks in the second to last picture, especially because they’re so darn cute with the hats! As much as I admired the clothes, I could never wear them due to a few reasons. I’m petite, which doesn’t lend itself well to longer hemlines. I am curvy, so the dropped waist is especially terrible on me! I have nothing close to a slender, lithe silhouette that these clothes require, but I always admire them on other people. :)

Brigid Boyer February 22, 2013 at 09:27

Oh, I love those illustrations, especially the last two!
So very excited about you and the baby! I’m sure all of us around the blogosphere can’t wait to meet her!

Blessings,
Brigid

Charlotte Boyer February 22, 2013 at 09:35

I love the way they used the draping of fabric, and those interesting, almost geometric details in the 1920s women’s fashion! Such unique, fabulous styles.
So excited about you and the baby, and I hope and pray the pregnancy will continue to go well :D

-Charlotte

Katrina @ Edelweiss Patterns February 22, 2013 at 10:42

Oh, those are all lovely prints! I do think that the 1920s were rather frumpy in comparison with the more hourglass look of the previous decades, but they still did use lovely heirloom fabrics and soft details. I love how you always find such amazing antique images like these!

Can’t wait for your baby to come!

Blessings,
Katrina

Renata February 22, 2013 at 11:21

Beautiful illustrations. I am glad to hear everything is well with you and the baby. Can’t wait to see the pictures of her room!

Rochelle New February 22, 2013 at 16:34

Wow I love all the fancy pockets in the first photo! So neat!! I’ll take one of each please. And yeah, I don’t want to talk about Downton Abbey haha! Whhhyyyyy?!?!

Rachel February 22, 2013 at 17:03

Can’t wait to see what you have done with the baby’s room :) And I can’t wait to ‘meet’ the baby either!
I do love those pieces of underwear at the bottom- the delicate embroidery is beautiful!

Jessica Cangiano February 22, 2013 at 23:22

Such terrifically lovely 1920s fashions. I’ve (intentionally) not seen much of season three yet. I’m going in for surgery again next month and want to save season three as a treat to watch while I’m recouping.

In general 1920s fashions have been on my mind much more than usual over the past few months ever since Tony and I got into (and then promptly watched every single episode of) Boardwalk Empire late last year. The costuming there, much like on DA, is superb and includes many non-flapper looks, which really appeal to me, as I don’t have the figure type that jives best with flapper styles. While I doubt the 20s are a decade I’ll ever wear on a frequent basis, inspired by both shows, I’m planning to do my first 20s themed vintage outfit post later this year (very excited about that!).

Thanks for sharing these beautiful 20s fashions, dear Casey. I really hope you have a fantastic weekend!

LaurenVsTheMachine February 22, 2013 at 23:35

Oh my goodness have you seen the christmas special following season three?? Ooh I’m getting tingles just thinking about it!!!
Lauren x

Renee February 23, 2013 at 07:54

Such pretty clothes. I always love the ads.

I haven’t gotten into Downtown Abbey yet (but know I will).

Glad to hear you are doing well. And you just have a few more weeks to go. How exciting for you and SH.

Jamie "ChatterBlossom" February 24, 2013 at 13:38

I really love the amount of detailing they put into the dresses. The shape can be hard to wear, but the pieces are art like.
-Jamie
ChatterBlossom

Lorelai February 26, 2013 at 18:27

What great vintage finds! I love those patterns and this show is definitely on my list of things to watch. Though I tend to sew more 40s inspired outifts.

xoxo Lorelai
Seams Unbiased

Viola March 5, 2013 at 15:01

Cute! It’s exciting to see the illustrations in color–it makes them come alive .
Happy to hear everything is going well. The baby’s room sounds adoreable!

Viola B. :)

Jill March 7, 2013 at 12:22

SOOOOOO darling!!!

angie.a March 9, 2013 at 07:51

Thinking of you this morning Casey! I hope baby is coming along, and we’ll have Miss Blueberry in our midst soon! Take care. :)

Jolleen The Graffitied Gardenia March 9, 2013 at 21:30

Can’t wait to see baby room pictures!
Jolleen

Ashley March 14, 2013 at 15:10

I was just thinking that we haven’t heard from you in a bit, and wondering how you and baby are doing! I hope that you and your little bundle of joy are doing well; hopefully we’ll all get to see pictures soon :-)
xo

Kathryn Eisenreich March 17, 2013 at 05:55

Dear Casey, hope you and your blueberry are well and you have lots of local support. If you have your share of sleepless nights Dr Sears is an excellent resource and gentle for you and baby. Sincere good wishes, a fan and mama from across the ocean.

abby @ teawiththemoon April 10, 2013 at 16:01

I adore the ’20s! These are lovely pictures :) Congratulations on your new baby – she is beautiful <3.