around the house: for the love of fiestaware

Happy 2013! I hope each and every one of you had lovely holidays. We had my parents and sister down for a few days over Christmas and had a great time (though a bit squished with five adults and a large dog in our tiny house!). I’m very excited about 2013 and was not in the least bit sad to see 2012 close. Last year was so full of various downs (SH’s 11th hour deployment, Maverick being so ill right after we adopted him, my mom’s cancer diagnosis, and feeling plagued by things breaking down all year…), but I’m hopeful for this year. Especially since Miss Blueberry will make her debut in less than 3 months!

I have been fascinated by Fiestaware since I was about 8 or 10. I don’t remember where I first saw it: whether it was in a collectables magazine or at an antique store (one of our favorite rainy-day activities when I was growing up was to go to the local antiques mall. I was a lucky child! lol.). But the bright colors and vintage shapes caught my eye even at that young age! I don’t know why I didn’t have the foresight to start requesting place settings as gifts years ago, or even to have it on the wedding registry when SH and I got married (I was going through a weird, “I want to be modern” phase and we ended up with square plates that I think are ugly at this point–not to mention don’t fit in any microwave we’ve ever owned!). But our everyday dinnerware is starting to chip (I am not happy with that after only four years of use!), and we needed to start thinking about replacement. (Especially before I “accidentally” break another piece… Oops!)

Which has brought me back to Fiestaware! I’ve been scheming over colors for the past week, after I got a little Christmas spending money that was burning a hole in my pocket. hehe! I’m sticking to brand new pieces, since not only are the real-deal vintage pieces collectable (and therefore pricy), but there is also the issue of various colors being radioactive. The newer line (reintroduced in 1986) is of course devoid of the glaze problems and is also lead-free, and even a 5-piece place setting isn’t hugely unreasonable. After some consultation with my decorating-partner-in-crime (aka my mom!), I decided to go with two settings in Peacock (a bright blue) and two in Sunflower (a gorgeous yellow). (If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that I originally purchased the Scarlet colorway instead of Sunflower, but decided after seeing everything in my kitchen that I liked the yellow better!)

The best prices I found online were either directly through Homer Laughlin’s website (I only wish their factory store in West Virginia was a closer drive!) or various department stores hosting after-Christmas sales (I ended up going with the department store option because I wouldn’t have to pay shipping). But the Homer Laughlin site has some great deals that I’m going to keep my eye on. Because now I need some serving pieces, salt and pepper shakers, and of course the iconic pitcher. I can’t wait to reshuffled my cabinets, say goodbye to the old (square and chipping) dinnerware, and add some Fiesta color to my kitchen!

I’m sure there are lots of other Fiestaware admirers and collectors who read this blog! I’d love to know what your favorite colors are; do you stick to just one or collect whatever catches you eye? (I have a feeling I’m going to end up in the latter category… hehe!)

January 2, 2013 · 99 lovely thoughts
posted in around the house · tags:

Miriam Dema January 2, 2013 at 19:11

If you go to thrift stores it’s going to be near to impossible to not buy it when you come across a lonely plate or bowl. Your collection is bound to expand a bit here and there by virtue of sheer proximity :)

The newer Bauer pieces also make for a fun match up with vintage and new fiesta!

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:35

I think my ultimate goal is to eventually have room for a vintage china cabinet/Hoosier cabinet/hutch to display everything I’ll inevitably collect over the years! ;) lol. The colors are just too cheerful for me to pass up… In fact, SH suggested that if I wanted to, I should add in some of the green dishes too (which is surprising for him, since he usually hates green… lol.)! ;)

Dani May 8, 2013 at 08:22

Why go when you can log on, shopgoodwill.com they actually have auctions, and you can pick up some really good vintage Pre 86 pieces as well as go alongs.

Bridget January 2, 2013 at 19:18

The dorm I’m a grad student RA in actually has fiestaware in the dining hall! It’s so bright and cheery, and I’m sure it’s nice on their end to know that not everything has to match and things are always replaceable…now, only if they had nicer silverware instead of the cheap stuff!

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:35

How fun that they use that in the dining hall! Certainly beats plain, old white diner plates. ;)

Allyson January 2, 2013 at 19:24

Fiestaware is so fun! Word to the wise though; If you find yourself in the Fiestaware mug market, go for the ‘Java Mug’ and not the regular mug. The little circle handles on the regular mugs make it impossible to hold when they have hot liquids in them…

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:36

Thanks so much for the tip, Allyson!!! :D

Mary January 14, 2013 at 07:30

I disagree. The ring handles and much more beautiful, keep the vintage look of the fiestaware, and I have no trouble drinking hot coffee out of them every morning. I have had no issues for 10 years.

Sarah February 21, 2013 at 13:55

I agree-while I really like the more “vintage” look of the ring handles, I like being able to put more than one finger through the loop! All of my mugs are the Java mugs and I really enjoy them!

Dani May 8, 2013 at 08:21

The mugs with the circle handles are called Tom and Jerry mugs, and they were initially used for an eggnog type drink

Laura January 2, 2013 at 19:51

Hi Casey, I too am a fan of Fiesta ware and recently bought my first pieces as well! I bought 4 orange dinner plates, and a pitcher in Peacock, as well as a vegetable bowl and small platter set in Peacock. I bought these dishes to “coordinate” with some nice sunny yellow Martha Stewart bowls and small plates I’ve had for years. Glad to hear you had a nice holiday! I’m looking forward to “meeting” Miss Blueberry too. :)

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:37

Oooooh! Those colors all sound so dreamy together! We waffled over the yellow versus orange for a bit ourselves; but in the end the yellow won out. ;) I’m thinking orange might creep in though… lol.

Alicia C. January 2, 2013 at 19:55

I too have loved Fiestaware from a young age! I think I first saw it in a department store. When I moved out of my parents’ house I splurged on a setting for 8 in Pearl Gray. I decided I’d let the food and table linens and accessories provide color. When I broke the second plate (I had the foresight to buy one extra setting) I had to incorporate a new color. I chose Peacock because my favorite kitchen towels feature a similar blue. However, I love your choice of Sunflower as a pair. I almost broke one of the Peacock pieces a few weeks ago and started thinking of which new color might be acceptable. Sunflower’s it as long as it’s still available!

I haven’t gone any further than buying place settings because I’ve inherited many additional kitchen items, stores have never seemed to carry anything else in Pearl Gray or Peacock when they’ve had sales and I’ve had money, and the only thing I dislike about my Fiestware is the weight. Once I put food on that dinner plate, it takes all my strength and concentration to not drop it. I can’t imagine what it would be like if I got a platter, pitcher, or tureen.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:39

Another long-time Fiestaware admirer! ;) I agree about the weight issue; its the one thing that irks me. (Although our square plates were equally heavy, so I think I’m just glad these aren’t so square. haha!) I think we’re also planning on supplementing the existing random Corelle dishes we have (from SH’s bachelor days) for additional everyday plates. At least those (while not the prettiest things) don’t weigh a ton! lol.

Ms.Cleaver January 2, 2013 at 20:00

I just ordered some sunflower and turquoise Fiestaware sets at an after Christmas sale. I’ve long had a pitcher and pie plate in my collection, but had held off on buying the dishes until now. (I also have ababy due in March)!

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:40

Congrats on another March baby! :D Do you know if it’s a boy or girl?

Gina January 2, 2013 at 20:01

Hi Casey, Happy New Year!! Boy 2012 was a difficult year. I am excited for you and hope this year brings a healthy baby girl and a healthy mom. We all have so much to be thankful for, even if it’s broken dishes. Whenever I get down about washing the dishes, I thank God for the food we had on them. Love the fiesta ware. We have blue willow dishes, some antiques, some not, but I like to mix it up a bit when setting a table.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:42

Thank you so much for the reminder to be thankful in all things! :) 2012 wasn’t a wholly bad year here (and I hope it didn’t sound that way, because there were some blessings in there that we’ve been very thankful for!), but it certainly was a challenge. ;)

Wishing you and your family all the best in this new year, Gina!

Marmielu January 2, 2013 at 20:09

I really like the yellow and the blue together. Definitely “YOU”!
Good to know about the glaze issues from older pieces.
I have always harbored a wild desire to have pieces in all the colors, to mix and match however pleased me. But, honestly, I’d probably go with one or two colors, as anything else would be too scary for your dad. LOL
Mom

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:44

Glad you like both the colors together! They’re quite cheery and make my smile every time I pull them out (perfect for those “winter blues” that are about to set in…). ;)

Marmielu January 3, 2013 at 14:40

I definitely approve of things that make smiles!

Sarah February 21, 2013 at 13:58

Since I graduated college, slowly I’ve collected the 5 piece places settings (with the cup and saucer) – each one in a different color. I now have 14 (!!!) place settings, each one in a different color, along with all different colors of serving pieces. And I LOVE IT. It’s so fun for my mom and aunts to pick Fiesta as a gift for me, because they know I’ll love getting and appreciate any color they choose. My dining room/kitchen colors are pretty neutral, and I have glass-front cabinets where all my dishes are stored, but still on display!

Lucy January 2, 2013 at 20:19

What’s with this modern dinnerware wearing out in a couple of years? When we moved in together, we bought a set of plain white dinnerware, and after not quite four years, it’s grubby, scratched and ratty-looking. I’ve got some vintage pieces that look much better! I’m starting to build up a collection of mismatched older dinnerware (back when they still made such things in New Zealand – google Crown Lynn) – just wish they didn’t make the bowls so tiny back then. Soon-to-be husband says that they’d only hold about a third of his cereal for breakfast.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:49

Glad I’m not the only one who shares this frustration with modern dinnerware! The thing I really liked about Fiestaware too is that it has a 5-year warranty. Which at least makes me feel a bit better about investing in a set to last! ;)

I had to chuckle at the bowl issue! ;) The bowls that came with the Fiestaware set, while perfect for chilis and soups and hot cereal, aren’t as deep as our old cereal bowls–which I think is irking some people in this household too. ;) lol. I think they sell deeper bowls in addition to the shallower ones, which I may have to get a few of to avoid morning grumbles!

Maren January 5, 2013 at 03:43

They do sell deeper bowls perfect for cereal – I bought a set of 4 for my mom’s Christmas gift this year!

Dani May 8, 2013 at 08:25

I find it better to buy my plates separate, so I can choose which ever bowls I desire, and trust me I have a variety. In addition I am not a fan of the typical coffee cups, so depending on my mood or type of hot beverage, I choose the one most suited to the day or my mood.

Sewing Sveta January 2, 2013 at 20:25

Ohh!! I like bright dinnerware too!%) I have yellow and blue plates at my kitchen%)) Not this brand but anywhere%)

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:50

Isn’t there something just so cheerful and fun about blue and yellow together?! I’ve got a ton of red pieces as well (from my kitchen appliances to teapots) that are looking quite snappy with the other two colors as well. ;) (Though I just realized all these are primary colors–I must have a subconscious draw to them! lol.)

Rachel January 2, 2013 at 20:26

My mom & aunts have some of my grandmother’s old Fiesta pieces (as I understand it, there were certain colors/years with the glaze issue & those are not the ones still in possession). I often had the chore of setting the table for dinner & I begged my mom to let me get down the Fiesta:). When we married 9 years ago, I got Fiestaware in Sunflower, Cinnabar, Cobalt, & Turquoise. We recently gave a family our Cinnabar & replaced it with Scarlet, which I LOVE. I’ve only broken 1 dinner plate & part of a serving piece in 9+ years of use. I still enjoy adding serving dishes over the years, one of our favorite finds are the chili bowls! They’re great for soup, whisking eggs, & ice cream.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:53

That is great to know that the Fiestaware you have has held up so well! That was part of our hope with starting to acquire sets: is that it’d be a good “family” dinnerware set (in addition to some less expensive, more functional Corelle plates) to last us over the years. Hopefully more than 4 like our previous set did (I noticed that Fiestaware comes with a five year warranty, so hopefully if there is an issue with chipping/crazing, I can get it replaced easily! ;) ).

I think I need to get some of the deeper bowls! While the ones that came with the sets are great for chilis or hot cereals, they aren’t quite deep enough for cold cereal around here. ;) lol.

Amanda January 2, 2013 at 20:33

I jumped for joy when I saw your tweet for this post!

My mother has been an avid collector of Fiestaware for YEARSSS…. she had inherited what was left of my Great-Grandmother’s collection in the ’80′s, I think (many of my Great-Grandmother’s pieces were in the original colors!), and so my Mom got started there. Since then she has collected each and every color that Fiestaware comes out with, so you can imagine she has quite the collection by now! My parents just built a house, and my Mom actually designed the backsplash of her kitchen to go with all her Fiestaware!

When I got married, I knew I wanted to register for Fiestaware, but was like you – I wanted a very modern palette in my kitchen, so I only registered for chocolate pieces. Since then, my own dear grandmother has passed, and she gave ME all her pieces, I suppose to carry on the tradition. So since inheriting all her multi-colored pieces, I’ve sort of gone crazy (like my crazy mother… like mother, like daughter) and decided to go ahead and buy each and every color out there! I’m taking it slow – I only added paprika and marigold to my collection this past fall. I figure I can afford to add 2 colors per season without going out of control. :)

So, needless to say, I am a Fiestaware fanatic, and I’m SO SO excited you’ve gone ahead and started your own collection! They’re so beautiful and have a vintage, timeless feel – plus, as you mentioned, they don’t break the bank, so if you (or your little blueberry!) happens to break a piece here or there, it’s not irreplaceable, or super-expensive to buy new!!!

Hope you had a lovely holiday! Can’t wait to see what this year brings for you and your family!

xo, Amanda

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:56

Oh wow–how special you inherited those pieces!!! :D I wish I had more kitchenware things from my grandmothers; though I’m thankful that I have one Fire King mixing bowl that was my maternal grandmother’s (and it looks so good for being 60 years old!). Family pieces are always so fun to have! :)

I think we’re figuring on adding a few other colors into the mix too. SH kept dropping hints about one of the bright greens as well when we went shopping for these sets. And of course, I’ll “need” a red pitcher at some point. ;) lol. I love your idea of adding a set or two a season–that is a great way to slowly build things up and stay on a budget! :D (And means that perhaps I can do that and ask for the serving ware I want for my birthday instead… hehe!)

Liza jane January 2, 2013 at 20:38

My dishes are fiesta ware! I even put in glass cabinet doors to show it off. I started with four colors but over the years I’ve added whatever catches my eye. My favorite colors are persimmon and the newer lemongrass. I have a local general store that sells it and it goes on 25% off sales twice a year. I stock up then.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:57

The lemongrass was one that SH kept gravitating back to when we were out shopping! I think that might end up in the mix at some point. ;) lol. I love the idea of putting them in a display cabinet! I’ve always wanted (but not had the space for) an old Hoosier cabinet or hutch to put in the kitchen or dining room to stack all my vintage plates, tea service pieces and now the Fiestaware! One day… hehe!

Sarah January 2, 2013 at 20:50

When my parents moved, my Mom decided to get all new dishes. Since she didn’t want the Fiesta teacups, she scored some on eBay and Goodwill.com! She didn’t want to have all the same color, so now she has a rainbow of assortments in her kitchen cabinets! They are really the most beautiful dishes!

Phyllis January 2, 2013 at 20:59

Count me in as Fiesta lover! My collections is mostly vintage and medium size (about 50 pieces), 95% of it is the Rivera and Harlequin patterns. My favorite color is periwinkle blue. I also have a small collection of coordinating Hall and Westinghouse refrigerator dishes. A *really* GREAT Fiestware blog is http://tabletoptime.blogspot.com/ which is nothing more than the most stunning and creative tablescapes you will ever see using Fiesta and vintage table linens! SO fun.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 07:59

A blog on Fiestaware?! This is too good to be true! ;) Thanks so much for the link, Phyllis!!! :)

Beth January 2, 2013 at 21:00

I started buying white Fiestaware after college. It holds up really well and looks great with most of my mixed collection of vintage pieces. A few years later, I bought a few sets of Lilac and after that Chartreuse. I’ve been able to keep myself from buying more sets although I now occasionally buy random pieces in a variety of colors. I have a Tangerine spoon rest on my vintage stove and also Turquoise and Plum bowls for my dog. I love the bright pops of color in my kitchen!

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:01

That is such a cute idea to use the bowls for dog dishes! :D Would certainly be a step up from the heavier metal ones we use for Maverick (and mostly because he couldn’t run off with them when he was a little puppy! Don’t really have that problem now. lol.)…

Elisabeth January 2, 2013 at 21:27

Oh I love fiestaware! I have loved it for years and moving into my first real grownup apartment a couple years ago new dishes were one of the things I decided to splurge on. Macy’s is always having a sale on them and I scored. Of course, at the time I couldn’t decide on just one or 2 and basically bought one of each color. Lol, at this point I might be a little less rainbow oriented but I do love them and mixing different colors. I particularly like the turqoise and the orangey (i think it’s cinnamon). It brightens my mornng coffee. And I haven’t had any chips or dings in any of them which says a lot as I tend to be rough on dishware.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:10

I am so glad to hear about how they’ve held up for you! I’m not too gentle with my dishes either (oops!), and anything that can hold up to me will be a winner! ;)

LauraD January 2, 2013 at 21:36

The sunflower/peacock color combination is lovely!

A friend of mine has the sunflower set as his own personal dishes (he lives with lots of roommates). They stand out, so he always knows when someone swipes a dish, and hold up really well. He’s been very pleased with them.

Anita January 2, 2013 at 21:42

I adore Fiestaware! My Nana had it at our family summer house, so I have used and loved it since I was a child. I started my own collection about 8 years ago, and currently have 12 place settings in 9 different colors. I also have various serving pieces and a few bowl collections; the chili bowls are fabulous! Some are in colors that I have place settings in already, some I buy in a new color. So my collection has become rather eclectic!
I resist the urge to buy serving pieces or table ware when I see them in thrift or antique shops because of the lead issue, but I did purchase a mid century vase in an unusual green color as a gift for a dear friend. I always have my eye open for another for myself!
Enjoy your new collection, and I hope that you never tire of it!
xo, Anita

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:12

I love the idea of all the colors! :D SH kept being drawn back to the lemongrass colorway, so I think that might join in the cabinets at some point too. ;) lol. The more, the merrier! (At least that way, if one or two pieces breaks, it’s not as noticeable… hehe!)

Tasha January 2, 2013 at 22:09

Happy New Year! I LOVE Fiestaware! That’s our daily dishes, and we haven’t managed to chip one yet (knock on wood!) after several years. I don’t collect vintage ones due to the issues you mentioned, and the new ones really don’t look any different. We used to have a mishmash of colors but I finally wanted to narrow it down, so last year we went with (unfortunately I don’t recall many of the official names): red, black, cream, seafoam and a light turquoise. Love them together. You can often find Fiesta seconds online as well. We have several seconds and you’d barely know they weren’t perfect… perhaps one tiny bubble in the glaze is all.

The only thing I don’t like is the mugs, since you can only fit one finger in the handle. Not very hot-drink-worthy for the clumsy like me. lol

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:15

Oh wow–I love the colors you’ve collected! :D Thanks for the tip about the seconds too–I’ll have to keep an eye out for some. ;) I’m also hoping one day I can swing a trip to the factory store in WV (more on the Ohio side of things), since from the website it sounds like they sell seconds at a deep discount too! (Which could possibly be a bad thing for me… haha!)

Angie January 2, 2013 at 22:25

I love my Fiestaware! We switched to it a few years ago, when our wedding gift Pfaltzgraff pattern was discontinued and then enough pieces had broken that it was time for a change.
I like your color choices–we started with place settings in Turquoise and Sunflower, but have since added plates in Peacock as well as Tangerine. My pitcher is Scarlet; Scarlet serving pieces are on my wish list. :)

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:16

I love the Scarlet serving pieces! One of the things I’d really love is a Scarlet spoon rest (since most of my major kitchen appliances/mixing bowls are red ;) ) and pitcher!

Jessica January 2, 2013 at 22:39

I’ve long admired Fiestaware as well though so far have not stumbled across any while thrifting or yard saling to bring home with me (yet). All of the colours are marvelous – especially for those like me, who practically need a good jolt of colour on hand most of the time – but I’d have to say that the peacock blue is a particular favourite, too.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:17

I think that’s part of the reason I gravitated towards the Fiestaware–the bright and cheery colors! Not only are they perfect this time of year (when everything is so gloomy…), but they remind me of the time I spent living along the Gulf Coast of Florida–where seemingly everything was a riot of colors! ;) Nothing like a brightly colored plate to add some jazz to the dinner table. ;)

Rachel January 2, 2013 at 22:45

I just recently started buying the new fiestaware too, I was planning on waiting till I finished nursing school in the spring (so it could be my gift to myself). It was so hard for me to choose what colors to buy! In the end I went with flamingo, tangerine, marigold, and turquoise.

I am also lucky to have my grandmothers rather large collection of the vintage fiestaware. The longer I looked at the stuff in my china cabinet made me realize that I wanted the newer stuff for everyday dishes.

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:19

I love the idea of the Fiestaware as a well-deserved, post-school gift! :D (Congrats too, on being nearly finished with nursing school–quite an accomplishment!)

Alli January 3, 2013 at 06:11

Such gorgeous colours…..I love the blue!
Glad to hear that you had a great Christmas Casey. I can’t believe it’s only 12 weeks till your gorgeous little lady arrives! Hope your Mum is going well (big hugs to her). 2012 was a shocker for our family too (and a lot of our friends too), so 2013 is going to be a bigger and brighter year for all of us. Lucky 13 I say! Lol. Big hugs, and pleeeeeease post some belly pics soon. I’m dying to see how much blueberry has grown :) xxoo

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:20

Thanks so much for your lovely words, Alli! :) Definitely going to try to do a little bump update/outfit post soon (tomorrow if I can get my act together! SH is on his holiday leave right now, so my days are totally off from their normal schedule. hehe!)–the belly is growing in leaps and bounds these days! ;)

jessie heninger January 3, 2013 at 07:28

Oooo I really like that look a lot. I would never have put yellow and blue together and it’s so fantastic!! I love dishes if I had a huge house I would have so many dishes, it’s like jewelry for the table.

Charlotte January 3, 2013 at 07:36

I LOVE the sunshine yellow and turquoise combination – so cheerful! My dinnerware is a vintage 1950s set by Midwinter which I got in a charity shop while I was still living in a shared house – it was in a box in the garage for two years until Matin and I moved to our own flat just over a year ago.

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha’penny Vintage

Casey January 3, 2013 at 08:22

How neat you were able to score a vintage dinnerware set!!! :D I’ve been looking for years now, and it seems that every pattern I liked was missing most of the pieces, or was far more than I wanted to pay. lol. But watch me walk into a thrift store now that I’ve started buying Fiestaware and spot the “perfect” set… haha!

Sara W January 3, 2013 at 08:58

I love Fiestaware! Got into it in high school. My collection is definitely piecemeal, getting pieces for Christmas occasionally or when my mom finds them at the thrift store. I primarily have serving pieces (platters, large bowls, tea pot, carafe, pitcher, etc.) which look so nice even if (or because?) the colors aren’t the same.

Nadine B January 3, 2013 at 09:13

I love Fiestaware. I am also lucky enough to live about 2 hours away from their outlet store. The sales they do are exceptional.

Angi January 3, 2013 at 09:51

Hi Casey! I was so excited to see this post since I too have decided to start collecting Fiestaware! My only problem is deciding what color(s) I want. And to make things worse I also admire the idea of going all white! Lol! I think I need two kitchens…

Maggie January 3, 2013 at 10:41

It all looks so bright and cheery! I don’t know how it couldn’t put you in a good mood, such fun and bold colors!! Happy New Year :)

Pansy Lane January 3, 2013 at 10:46

Oooh I loooove Fiestaware! I have the same eventual goal– when we have a house with more kitchen-room I want to get a hutch and display all of my vintage dishes and things. It’s so sad that they’re all hidden away right now!

Kristy L January 3, 2013 at 11:03

OOOH! Fiesta is my very fav thing to collect so I loved this post!! My grandma had it and got it for a wedding present in 1945 so when we’d go to her house of course that’s what we used. It was her everyday dishes and she had all colors. A few years ago I got rid of my old stoneware, and bought a cabinet full of new fiesta in all colors so it reminds me of grandma’s cabinet everytime I open mine. It’s really fun and sentimental. I sometimes whish I’d gone with a color scheme like you, but then again I can’t decide what colors I like best so I went with the Fiesta theme of all colors!
I also have vintage fiesta but in vintage I’ve collected the extra pieces like pitchers, s and p shakers, vases, creamers etc…and I’ve put those in a cabinet just for viewing pleasure.
Keep us informed of more fiesta purchases! I’m excited for you.
Kristy

Katrina January 3, 2013 at 11:11

I love the colors you chose! I started out all turquoise but introduced scarlet because my husband wanted to choose a color as well. They really are the best dishes I’ve ever had and I’ve only ever had two pieces break (thank you to the cat and a freak thing in the microwave). I’m glad to see you and your blueberry are doing well! We’ve got our second tater tot coming in February so I am really enjoying hearing about other pregnancies right now. Happy hunting for your Fiestaware!

Aubry January 3, 2013 at 11:43

I’m a huge fan of Fiestaware! I have the turquoise colorway but I’ve also fallen in love with the new Flamingo color. I’m trying hard to resist getting all of the colors!

Vanessa January 3, 2013 at 11:53

I have always loved fiestaware too. It’s funny, my grandma would buy me place settings for birthdays and Christmas before I ever had a place of my own…. I use to store them in my bedroom closet. haha. So glad she did though because it’s been 12+ years and those dishes are still going strong. They are so durable too. I have dropped mine so many times and they NEVER chip or break…. they really are amazing. I have all the colors! I love how colorful it makes the kitchen:)

hezzahvife January 3, 2013 at 11:54

My husband and I are hoping to start a family soon. Wanting to be as healthy as possible for future baby we’ve been trying to cut out most of the chemicals in our lives. We ended up getting some Fiestaware just because it was the most economical lead free dinnerware we could find. But now I love my dishes! We got a few place settings in peacock and they are so bright and cheery. Hoping to start collecting more colors when they are on sale.

Kim January 3, 2013 at 15:46

Happy New Year! I like Fiestaware but I’m more of a Jadeite/milk glass collector. There are stores around here that sell new Fiestaware and I’m coveting the turquoise butter dish. I wish that they made cake stands.

Angie February 17, 2013 at 07:13

You can make a Fiesta cake stand by using the hostess bowl (upside down) and a pizza tray on top. I saw this displayed when I visited the factory outlet in West Virginia. The factory is a 4 hour drive from my home but well worth the drive. I could have spent all day in the “seconds” room grabbing bargains.

Kristin January 3, 2013 at 18:22

Macy’s has Fiestaware sales all the time. I’ve collected so many colors that it’s almost exploding out of my cabinets. Not only is it gorgeous, it resists chipping and cracking like crazy.

Joen January 3, 2013 at 20:06

I also switched to Fiestaware when I changed out my old dishes. I went with a dark purple and a forest green at the time I have been thinking to adding a yellow into the mix now too. I love that if you need a change you can just add a new color to freshen things up.

Suzan January 4, 2013 at 01:26

Casey, I grew up with Fiesta as our everyday dishes & then after my sister-in-law joined the family in the mid ’70′s, she convinced my mom & I both to start collecting them along with her. I also happened to grow up with a Hoosier Cabinet which I now have inherited & FILLED beyond the point of running over with all of the rainbow colors of both Vintage & P86 (newer) Fiesta. I LOVE IT!!!

Momma Bean January 4, 2013 at 02:22

Oh I was so hoping for some fiestaware for Christmas, but it wasn’t in the cards. I had the peacock color on my wishlist too. :)

Debra January 4, 2013 at 09:56

I’ve loved Fiestaware since I was a little girl eating off my grandmother’s dishes, and when I was dating my future husband he got addicted, too. We collect it all: old and new; all the colors. Sometimes a new color will be issued and you’ll wonder what HLC was thinking, and then you see how it looks with some of the other colors and suddenly you’re in love with the new one. Coming up with new color combinations, decorating for a holiday….the best is probably when someone else sees our collection and decides to start collecting, too! I even gave away my heirloom china because frankly — we’re Fiestaware kind of people, and we wave our flag proudly!

Rebecca January 4, 2013 at 10:35

When my grandparents were married in the late 30s they were given a starter set of Fiesta ware. They added to their collection over the years and by the time I came along (the daughter of the 2nd of 7 children) the cupboards were full. For family meals the giant extension table would be set with every one of the original Fiesta colors. I shudder to think how much lead and radioactive what-not I’ve consumed over the years!

Liz January 4, 2013 at 10:45

I’ve loved Fiestaware since I was little too. A few years ago my Mom came across a large collection someone was selling at an Antique Mall in the NC mountains….she bought the WHOLE thing! And has slowly been giving me the pieces for Christmas each year. I got the last of it this year- so pretty!

Helen Made January 4, 2013 at 12:16

I saw your photo on instagram of the red and blue together, which was lovely – but there’s something about the yellow/ blue combination that works even better – makes me think of sunny summer skies for some reason! :D Unfortunately I haven’t found any stockists in the UK!

Sarah January 4, 2013 at 13:46

My suggestion is do NOT get the the white! I thought I’d have a nice mix of Sunflower Yellow, Turquoise, Scarlet and White but the white shows scratches horribly! I never did get any of the Scarlet either, which is sort of sad, but maybe someday down the road! The other three do go together nicely, I just wish there weren’t ugly scratches in my white plates.

Elke January 5, 2013 at 02:04

I really hope that this will be a year of blessing for you. It seems like you had enough…
But i love your tablewear! I saw it in a store nearby in belgium :-) but we have my grandmothers flowery set and the cheap ikea one… So i’ll keep it in mind till the little ones are older and break less plates and others things… :-) your colourchoise is so cool! My husband likes white, beige, taupe, gray,… So, i’m happy with the white and red combination in our kitchen (we have a red smeg fridge:-))
How much can the fiestaware take? Does it chip? Can it go into the dishwasher? ?…

Debra January 5, 2013 at 11:08

Don’t miss out on white Fiesta! Here’s what HLC recommends for the grey marks, or ‘scratches’:

“The gray marks are metallic deposits from your stainless steel flatware. They can be removed with a non-abrasive cleanser such as Barkeeper’s Friend or Wright’s Copper Cream, both of which can be found in your local supermarket.
Dave Conley
The Homer Laughlin China Company”

There are as many remedies for these marks as there are Fiesta collectors. I recommend doing a search for Fiesta blogs and boards — you’ll learn a lot about this wonderful line of dishware.

Jolleen January 5, 2013 at 12:17

Love! I’m not a fan of stuff matching but meshing. So I will always by small quantities in various colors I like together, makes for a lovely table! Great color combo!

karen January 5, 2013 at 17:18

I missed seeing the picture of your christmas cookies. Maybe you will still post it? I was looking forward to it.

Love the fiesta dishes.

Tricia January 23, 2013 at 19:38

I inherited my grandmother’s fiestaware. She asked me if I wanted it way back in 1977 before she passed away. We always ate Sunday dinners on it at her house. OF COURSE I WANTED IT!!! I always loved it, even as a kid. So I have hers and much more that I have accumulated through the years. Lots of serving platters, vegetable bowls, coffee caraffes, sugar and creamer, etc. My daughter married this fall. I gave her plenty to fill an old hutch in her dining room. She asked for new sets of the Sunflower for place settings and then is using other colors for serving pieces.

I don’t know how to add a picture on here, but my neighbor helped me glue and grout broken pieces of fiestaware to cover a very large flower pot. We have partial cups, cup handles, and all of the old colors represented. It is really a neat piece.

Good luck to you and your collecting! Fiestaware is just one of my many fun delights!