the week that got away

This week has just been topsy-turvy for lack of a better phrase! So I’m going to save the Christmas decorations post until next week (I may also show y’all what I’m baking this year since all the cookie baking will commence then!), and instead show you a little evidence that I’ve been sewing. I’ve actually been working on a few things, but kitchen curtains and Boppy covers aren’t as cute… lol.

After I announced I was expecting, the lovely Portia sent me a fun package full of adorable vintage patterns (thank you again, Portia!). This particular one stood out to me as something I could make immediately (I’ve been holding off on a lot of clothing items, as I’m waiting to see what size Miss Blueberry is to better grade patterns to fit her as needed). What baby (or mama?!) wouldn’t love a little plush elephant? I used some grey cotton velveteen I thrifted, and managed to whip it up in about two evenings.

I also made a little party hat for the elephant out of felt (every elephant needs one, don’t you know?), which can be easily removed before we give Miss Blueberry the elephant to play with. I forgot how much I love making little plush animals! I think I might make one of these or these (out of some soft chenille…) for her next.

December 14, 2012 · 32 lovely thoughts
posted in baby diary · tags: , ,

Sarah December 14, 2012 at 09:14

Adorable!! : )

Kerry December 14, 2012 at 09:26

Just adorable! The perfect fabric type too.

Charlotte Boyer December 14, 2012 at 09:50

Oh Casey, this is so cute!! Love it! My sister and I use a vintage pattern similar to this one to make little cloth elephants as gifts for the pregnant mamas around us, and everybody *loves* them!

-Charlotte

Kristy L December 14, 2012 at 09:52

So cute, Casey. You are so talented!! I always think of you when I’m out thrifting because I see so many cute vintage little girl patterns that I know you’d love. What fun you seem to be having!

Hadley December 14, 2012 at 09:52

Oh, goodness… he is so darling!

Vicki Kate December 14, 2012 at 10:00

What an adorable elephant! Little Miss is going to love it and the hat is just perfect – makes me think of Dumbo a little.

Lisette December 14, 2012 at 10:01

So cute! It looks soft and lovely.

Emily December 14, 2012 at 10:35

Very cute! I can’t wait to see the dresses to come!

VictoriaR December 14, 2012 at 10:48

I love this elephant. Makes me want to make a little animal this week end. My daughter is 12 and she has millions of plush animals and still loves them. Your daughter will cherish this elephant for a long time!

Tasha December 14, 2012 at 11:01

I think my head may have exploded with the cuteness. I am squeeing over the addition of the party hat, how perfect!! Just think, someday she can have a little tea party with her decked out plush toys. :)

Jessica December 14, 2012 at 11:04

Awwww, that elephant is the epitome of handmade toy cuteness. Wonderfully lovely job on it, dear Casey.

Fingers crossed that the rest of December is less topsy-turvy for you.

Molly December 14, 2012 at 11:10

Oh my gosh! How cute is that elephant. Miss Blueberry is going to have an incredible wardrobe and nursery!

Libby December 14, 2012 at 11:25

Casey!
Real quick-love your blog! Just popping in to say that you should most definitely NOT wait to see what size your baby will be before making clothes. Sew and knit any and every size and your baby will MOST ASSUREDLY be that size at some point in time! It would be a rare moment that you might regret making this or that because of a sizing issue (practicality is another story it with one baby you can get away with most things ;-) . I just had #4 and SO, SO regret not knitting and sewing more for him. Each baby I have had that regret. Sometimes sizing has held me back sometimes it was other things. SO, as a mother of four who WISHES she had time to do more now I’m BEGGING you to throw sizing out the window, along with any other excuse, and busy your hands with making clothing for the little bean!

LauraD December 14, 2012 at 11:47

How are the eyes attached? It’s not something I thought about before babies, but they need to be *extremely* well stitched on. I gave Grace a Raggedy Ann that someone had handmade when she was a baby, and the eyes had only been glued on… they were off an in her mouth in about ten seconds!

Emileigh M. December 14, 2012 at 12:10

Oh man, I’m almost 21 years old, and I don’t have a baby…… and I’d love an elephant like that in my room, haha. It’s adorable!

roxi December 14, 2012 at 12:57

whoah, that’s extra sweet! i am going to fish around the internets for that pattern.

Amanda December 14, 2012 at 13:09

Oh my goodness, that’s the sweetest thing EVER! And the party hat, sooooooooooo cute! I want to make these one day. :)

Rebecca Ann December 14, 2012 at 15:40

Casey, your little elephant is absolutely adorable! I love it.

I have awarded you the Liebster blog award over at my blog. I thought I would let you know. You don’t have to do the tag if you don’t want to.

Merry Christmas!
Rebecca

Deanna December 14, 2012 at 17:37

So cute! And an elephant always needs his party hat. :-) I would make the squishy bunny next, of course. It’s not as if I’m not biased towards bunnies, or anything ;-) . It looks soo huggable.

Renee December 14, 2012 at 21:12

That is adorable.

Jessica December 14, 2012 at 21:44

Most adorable.

Andrea December 15, 2012 at 02:59

Oh I love it!

Alli December 15, 2012 at 07:58

Casey…that is SOOOOOOO cute! Too adorable for words! :)

Nana Sophie December 17, 2012 at 14:00

I love it! My very first plush animal was an elephant, so this definitely brings back some lovely memories. On another note, I think the rabbit is so cute for a second plush animal!

Pansy Lane December 17, 2012 at 15:29

Are you KIDDING with this right now? Omg so cute! I love the hat.

I’m going to have to go on a hunt for this pattern!

maddie December 18, 2012 at 20:14

oh my lord! What a cute elephant! And you’re damn right – every elephant needs a party hat :)

Julie December 19, 2012 at 08:42

It’s enjoyable and fun seeing you prepare for Miss Blueberry’s arrival. The quilt the elephant is on is so pretty. I love quilts.

These are so cute! If you made copies of this pattern to sell, I would buy one.

hint :)

Janice December 19, 2012 at 10:27

I love the elephant!

gracie January 1, 2013 at 18:12

The elephant is amazingly adorable! You are so talented.

Portia January 7, 2013 at 12:27

Sooooo cute! Glad you got some use out of the pattern!
Px