knitting: in which I confess a sort of mania

I was going to share some knits I had finished for me as well as the baby things I’ve been working on, but realized that the post would be enormous if condensed altogether! So this one will be just the adorable baby stuff, and the “grown up knits” will follow in a couple weeks. Needless to say, since discovering the baby’s gender and starting to knit miniature things for her, it’s gotten addictive. While I haven’t had time to devote to large scale sewing projects because of various things, I’ve needed something to keep my fingers occupied and that is transportable. It’s kept me happily employed and feeling useful in those odd, otherwise blank moments that one finds at times (mostly at doctor’s appointments, these days!).

So what have my knitting needles been occupied with? A cute little baby turban that I found a pattern for–she needs some retro style in her wardrobe from an early age! I want to knit another out of some thicker yarn too (probably in red…), as this particular fiber (a silk blend, I believe–it was leftover from an older project) is a bit loose. But it’ll be good for warmer weather. [ pattern | similar crochet version ]

How about some darling booties? I knit these literally days after we found out we were having a girl–using some lovely yarn odds and ends I had in the stash. The buttons are vintage mother of pearl. So cute! [ Ravelry project page | pattern ]

A delightfully pink confection from a 1950s pattern booklet I thrifted years ago. The pom poms got me (can I have a grown up version, please?)! It’s the kind of thing I’m hoping that she’ll be big enough to wear as her “coming home” outfit as I adjusted the original sizing a bit to newborn sizing. As with sewing patterns, vintage knitting patterns sizing can be wildly off–thankfully I feel like I’ve got enough experience knitting (and sewing!) to adjust things as needed. [ Ravelry project page ]

Another “so sweet it makes my teeth hurt” cardigan! This one (the “Ladylike Cardigan” from Stephanie Japel’s Mommy & Me Knits) I knit in a 6-month size, and used a yarn appropriate for summer or fall wear. I wanted something she could grow into, and had stuck in my mind that she needed a yellow cardigan with duck buttons! [ Ravelry project page | pattern ]

Finally, I have a green baby kimono I’ve been working on for weeks–it’s just a simple, sideways knit. There is not much to show right now, hence the lack of photos. Hopefully I’ll have it finished soon!

I do love how quickly baby knits come together: almost like instant gratification knitting! I’m just almost out of projects, once the green kimono is finished. Lucky for me, I found a fabulous local yarn store recently–so I guess I’ll have to make a stop there sometime to pick up yarn for another baby project! Just to decide what is appealing to me? I think this bunny hat may be a contender!

December 7, 2012 · 50 lovely thoughts
posted in knitting · tags: ,

Evie December 7, 2012 at 11:37

These are all adorable, Casey! You’ve done a lovely job on them. We are expecting our first in May and I have to admit I’m itching to get a few things finished so I can start knitting tiny sweaters as well :)

Simone December 7, 2012 at 11:40

Truly scruptious! I love the turban

Stephanie December 7, 2012 at 11:43

So cute! The little duck sweater is too cute! And you really need a grown up pink pom pom sweater so you can have matching outfits!

Kerry December 7, 2012 at 11:48

Absolutely adorable! I’ve knitted the Saartje’s Booties a few times for new babies of friends and it’s a great pattern. The little pearl buttons add a sweet vintage touch too.

Lulu December 7, 2012 at 12:13

I love your knits , as well as everything you sew, do … Thank you very much for this enchanting blog. I often think that in vintage you have “too much” and “classy” you are certainly from the second category…

Natalie December 7, 2012 at 12:14

LOVE the turban. I need one for myself!

Lauren December 7, 2012 at 12:16

These are all so sweet and perfect! I especially love that little pink cardigan – the pompoms are the best part. I want one in a grown-up size, too, please! :)

Lizzy December 7, 2012 at 12:22

I love seeing your knitting! The little baby girl items are so precious. I love the sweet buttons on the booties, so sweet. You’re going to have one well dressed baby girl :)

Brigid December 7, 2012 at 12:30

I love all of these knitting creations! Especially that adorable cardigan with the pompoms!

Brigid

The Middle Sister and Singer

Allynara December 7, 2012 at 12:34

How cute! The boots are my favorite! I also made a baby-project just the other day. my niece is due tomorrow and I’ve been thinking what to give the little one. Since we don’t know the gender of the baby, everybody in our family started to call him/her the ‘Pea’. So I decided a self-knitted pea would perfectly suit the baby :) (You can look on my blog for pictures and the video I used as reference, if you’re interested)

Casey December 7, 2012 at 13:22

Oh my goodness–what a perfect idea! :D I love the shade of green yarn you choose too… Perhaps I’ll have to knit a blue one since she’s been nicknamed the “Blueberry” for so long. ;)

Charlotte December 7, 2012 at 12:45

It’s all so sweet! I keep trying to learn to knit, but I can’t seem to get the hang of it. My sister’s good at it though, she’s made several things for her two little boys.

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha’penny Vintage

Casey December 7, 2012 at 13:24

It took me awhile to finally get the hang of knitting myself! I first learned as a child, but the method my mom showed me never clicked (and my tension was always off–resulting in much frustration). It took a lot of videos, the “Stitch n’ Bitch” book, and hours of fiddling with yarn to be able to get the hang of it! That being said, I still haven’t mastered crocheting–something that still eludes me. ;) (I know how to do the basic stitches, it’s just a totally different animal to me than knitting! lol.)

Christine December 7, 2012 at 12:55

Umm Casey – you’re making me look bad! I’m starting to realize that the big date is coming up (we just reached 24 weeks) and I have knit… NOTHING. Oh sure, I printed out some patterns and my friends gifted me a baby knit book but I haven’t even touched a ball of yarn! You’re making me jealous of all the cute things you’re whipping up!

Casey December 7, 2012 at 13:25

hehe! Well, since it’s confession time: I haven’t sewn anything for the baby yet! :p I have some lovely patterns, a velveteen elephant plushie cut out, and two Boppy covers cut out, but haven’t actually sat down to sew. :/ lol. So I’m in the same boat on the sewing side of things! lol.

Rebecca December 7, 2012 at 13:07

Fabulous!
And I wanted to give a gentle “on the other hand” to Laura D.’s comment from yesterday. Babies and toddlers sure keep you on the jump but I never felt like my pre-baby enthusiasms were lost forever. Breastfeeding is the perfect time for all manner of handwork. I kept my babies close but never felt compelled to entertain them. When I had toddlers I couldn’t sit down for hours at a stretch and finish, for example, a tailored suit. But, boy, did I get a lot done in the 15 minutes i did have. (Even tailored suits can get done in 15 minutes a day. ) When my 6 year olds were learning to read I’d set them up next to the sewing machine with a book and have them practice while I sewed. Life is different with babies but certainly not unrecognizable.

Casey December 7, 2012 at 13:32

Thank you so much, Rebecca, for your encouragement! :) I think there is truth in both perspectives: I know that initially when the baby comes home, there will be a period of both of us (because she’s never been out of the womb and I’ve never had a small baby to care for! lol.) to learn and adapt to each other and just set up some sort of routine. But I’m hoping to do what my mom did with both my sister and I: take advantage of naptime (and then quiet time once she’s grown out of naps)! My mom and I have been reflecting a bit on how she balanced motherhood and creative pursuits when my sister and I were little, and that seems to have been the key with us. ;) I’m hoping I’ll really hone sewing in small increments and getting things done slowly but surely! :) (Plus there is always SH when he’s home–he’s been very vocal about making sure he helps out so I still have time to do things like blog and sew! :) )

Charlotte Boyer December 7, 2012 at 13:43

Wow, so, so adorable, Casey! Incredible job, and I adore the yellow sweater! Absolutely perfect in every way! And the booties are wonderful, too!

-Charlotte

Sarah December 7, 2012 at 14:57

What absolutely beautiful sweaters! Everything look so delicate and lovely. Your knitting is perfection. : )

-Sarah

Renee December 7, 2012 at 15:04

Oh, how sweet. Love them all. Now you have me wanting to knit something for the new granddaughter (my daughter is having another girl in April)

zilredloh December 7, 2012 at 15:13

OMG! You HAVE to knit that bunny hat. heh It’s too cute and a mini Casey should have one.

The baby knits are really quick and I’m not surprised you’re doing so much. They’re really the perfect projects for stuffing in one’s bag and working on while waiting. Can’t wait to see the adult projects you’ve been knitting too.

Marmielu December 7, 2012 at 15:29

Oh my goodness, everything looks so adorable! I love that little turban! Can’t wait to see that little girl in any of these.
Mom

Ann December 7, 2012 at 16:13

Your baby knits are ADORABLE! I admire your productivity. I’m new to knitting and I knit like a tortoise, if a tortoise could knit. I was reading the comments on how babies can change your life and hobbies. I’ve got four kids and in my experience I became more creative AFTER the kids. It was harder to make it to the sewing machine for a while (mostly because I have to sew at the kitchen table), so my creative pursuits broadened into things that were portable. I learned to tat and if I could have figured out knitting during the breast feeding days, that would have been great. Also, taking photos became much more interesting for me and I love messing with them in Adobe (oddly, I don’t scrapbook). Long story short, you will have time for the things you MAKE time for and I think an active, creative mind is a blessing for you and your children. It’s important for them to see that they can make their own happiness, literally.

Andi December 7, 2012 at 16:54

Baby knits are so cute! Everything is so tiny and quick to knit that it’s easy to see how they’re a little addictive. And they’re just fun because the proportions are so adorably different from adult knits. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your knits!

RobinDenning December 7, 2012 at 20:07

I just have to comment on how nostalgic I feel upon seeing what you have knit for your baby. These look just like what my grandmother knitted for me (and it was 55 years ago when I was a baby). My grandmother and my mother both mastered every sort of needle art, so I am paying you a very high compliment. So sweet! You will enjoy using these, i am sure.
Beautiful!!

I always enjoy your blog & appreciate your taste.

Miss Virginia December 7, 2012 at 21:49

IT HAS DUCK BUTTONS!!! I’m sorry, I can’t get over that one XP

Rachel December 7, 2012 at 22:24

Oh so sweet :) I actually posted a couple of vintage baby outfits on my blog recently. I love how cute they are!

Michelle @ needle and nest December 7, 2012 at 22:40

Goodness! They’re all so adorable I don’t think I could choose a favorite! She is going to be very well outfitted! :)

Miss Fairchild December 8, 2012 at 00:12

The knits are just adorable….but I love love love the turban! I might have to make one for my (not so little any more) eldest girl.

Alicia C. December 8, 2012 at 00:35

Those are all so adorable! I generally hate knit baby booties, but those are way too cute! Your little girl will one day surely appreciate having a mother who was so excited for her birth that she knit beautiful clothes for her to wear home. Oddly, myself and none of my friends have had children yet (and we’re well into in our early 30s), but I have a younger cousin who had a baby boy at the beginning of the year. It was so fun (and fast) to knit a personalized sweater as a present. It’s much easier when the clothes are tiny!

Jessica December 8, 2012 at 02:27

Everything is so, so tremendously sweet and beautiful. Your little lass is so lucky to have you as her mom, she’s going to be the one of the most stylish, prettily attired tykes around for sure.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend, dear Casey.

Cate December 8, 2012 at 04:40

You knit some absolutely beautiful things for your lucky baby. I’m particularly enamoured with the duck buttons. My Mum knit my last daughter lots of baby shrugs a bit like this one http://www.theshizknit.com/2008/06/free-pattern-confection-baby-shrug.html and I found them to be so useful particularly for sleeping while wrapped but with her arms sticking out or for the many hours I spent carrying her chest to chest which meant her front was warm but her back was more exposed. Just thought you might be interested for when you finished your current project….

Elke December 8, 2012 at 05:51

I wish i could knit…. I love the shoes… My mom made shoesocks for my firstborn, a boy. He kept on loosing them… But he had lots :-) my girl got so many clothes from 4 older nieces, so it was, and it still is, not neccesary to make clothes for her. I make clothes for the nieces :-)
Your little girl is going to be soooooo beautiful!! And she’ll have great outfits :-)

Jemima December 8, 2012 at 11:45

Oh my what fabbylous knits! I’m a beginner, definitely inspired to persevere with it!. Congratulations on your pregnancy, l gave birth to a girl on 5th November.

Marie December 8, 2012 at 16:40

Oh Casey, these are all so adorable! You’re little treasure is lucky to have such a talented and creative mummy!

Deanna December 8, 2012 at 17:35

Everything is so cute Casey! I’m a sucker for knit and crochet baby things. :-) Yes to the bunny hat! It’s adorable. And if there’s any way to catch them together, you need a picture of Mr. Freckles next to Miss Blueberry wearing the hat! My bunny is pretty good about pictures, but I seem to remember you saying Mr. Freckles is a little camera-shy.

Alli December 9, 2012 at 05:31

Soooooo cute Casey! Those booties are just gorgeous, and I LOVE the yellow with the little duck buttons……sooooooo adorable! She’s definitely going to be the best dressed baby in town that’s for sure ;)
Hugs xxoo

Nika Chick December 9, 2012 at 08:24

Wow! Such a cute kid stuff! All these buttons and pearls look sooo lovely.

Sara December 9, 2012 at 11:36

Wow! So amazing. I cant wait to see Blueberry in her wardrobe.

Having a baby will change your daily schedule but if you want to create you will find a way. It will just be an adjustment. In my personal experience the baby just made me appreciate my down time more, not get rid of it completely.

I suggest making a ton of hats. Newborn hats are hard to find – turban every day of the week!!!

Katie December 9, 2012 at 11:52

She is going to be a very lucky baby indeed! Everything you have made is absolutely beautiful Casey, I think pregnancy is making you even more creative than usual!

coffeeaddict December 9, 2012 at 17:45

Dang! This is going to be a very stylish little lady. Your knitting is perfection, I’m a bit jealous, as all of my knitting projects are limited to scarves, shawls and nagging my mum to make me some gloves and socks.

Pansy Lane December 10, 2012 at 10:28

OH MAN I’M DYING. SO CUTE!

I still haven’t knitted anything other than hats, legwarmers, and toys for Oliver but I really want to give a sweater a try before winter is over (I’ve never made any kind of sweater!).

I second the suggestion to make tons of hats. Cute baby hats are so hard to find if you don’t want to spend a ton (and if you’re like me and usually refuse to buy knitted things because I could TOTALLY DO THAT, haha.)

maddie December 10, 2012 at 12:45

Oh my goodness! How stinkin’ cute! I completely understand the instant gratification piece – that’s why I got so addictive to sewing lingerie!

Meg the Grand December 10, 2012 at 12:51

These are all incredibly adorable! Those pom poms are just the best :)

Portia December 13, 2012 at 11:32

I just keeled over from cuteness overload ;)
ADORABLE!!
Px

Mandi December 13, 2012 at 22:54

Oh, Casey! They are so beautiful! Makes me reeeeally want to take up knitting.

Tasha December 14, 2012 at 09:21

Oh my goodness, aren’t these just darling! I think the turban and the little jacket with the pom poms are my favorites, soooo cute! She’s going to be beautifully decked out. And I can just imagine non-mini versions for lounging around on cold evenings, too!

JanS December 16, 2012 at 13:13

Beautiful work. Just thought I would let you know that someone stole your post, photos and all. It appears over here http://theknittingsew.info/knitting-in-which-i-confess-a-sort-of-mania That same blog also stole a blog post of mine. Visit my blog to find out how I am dealing with it.