holidays: Christmas cheer

I already posted something on Facebook over the weekend, but I wanted to reiterate it here, as a slight pause before launching into this somewhat lighthearted post. My heart and prayers go out to the families affected by the tragedy in Connecticut. I can’t even begin to articulate how sad I feel about this…

I wanted to share a little look at some of the holiday decorations I’ve put up this year! I feel like I’ve finally hit a good point with the space we’re living in and the decorations we’ve collected over the years. The living area feels very festive and cohesive, and I think not too overdone despite the small floorplan. Much of what we’ve used to decorate with has been bought on clearance over the years (after Christmas sales are my favorite!) or thrifted. I think my favorite Christmas thrift find this year has been the “12 Days of Christmas” glasses. I’ve only found 7 out of the 12, but those were spotted at two different thrift stores (on opposite sides of town!), and only cost between $0.55 and $0.75 each. They’re perfect for serving guests! (Be sure to hover over each image for a description!)

Be sure to check back Friday, as I’ll be posting about my Christmas baking this year!

December 19, 2012 · 28 lovely thoughts
posted in holidays · tags:

Marie December 19, 2012 at 07:36

It all looks fantastic, can’t wait to hear about your baking!!!

karen December 19, 2012 at 07:48

What lovely decorations – I have my mothers baubles on the tree this year – she passed away this time last year so it is a way to remember her and l love your glasses too.

I am a keen follower of your blog so keep up the good work in 2013.

Karen

Sew Little Time December 19, 2012 at 08:01

your house looks so pretty! love the glasses – you seem to be fated to find the whole set, maybe in a third thrift store. and your last christmas before baby comes – you’ll have those glass ornaments well out of the way next year!

Julie December 19, 2012 at 08:48

I remember the little green tree in the last pic from years ago! I was still wet behind the ears it was so many years ago. And the white christmas tree has snow written all over it even if there isn’t fake snow on it. Just think next year this time Miss Blueberry will be here to see all this and her little eyes will be so big.

Marmielu December 19, 2012 at 09:03

Can’t wait to come visit! I spied that new sofa, too. Looks good.
Mom

Michelle @ needle and nest December 19, 2012 at 09:41

Casey, I love your little green tree in the last photo. Does it light up? We have one too, though ours doesn’t have snow on the branches. It was my husband’s tabletop Christmas tree when we first met; I still remember how sweet it looked all lit up and sitting on his kitchen table when we first started dating. It was something his folks had owned and gave to him when it no longer fit with their Christmas decor. This is the first year we’ve been able to put it up in a while (there was no safe place to put it in our old house where it wasn’t at risk of being broken) and my kids have fallen in love with it just like I did. :)

Merry Christmas!

Lauren December 19, 2012 at 09:49

Aw, your living room is so sweet! I love the use of colors (and of course, your pretty wrapping!). I’m still working on my collection of Christmas decorations – I didn’t really start it until last year, so my stuff is pretty sparse haha.

I wish I’d known you were collecting those glasses, because I’ve definitely seen entire sets at the thrift stores here. What days are you missing? I’ll keep an eye out for ya :)

Kim December 19, 2012 at 11:48

Cute! My grandma has the exact same lighted ceramic tree from the last photo. Although the tree itself isn’t vintage, she has great taste and has kept all the best stuff owned by herself and by my great-grandma. She even kept my dad’s turquoise-and-chrome high chair from the 1950′s- your little one would look adorable in something like that :)

Molly December 19, 2012 at 12:17

My grandma had 12 days of Christmas glasses just like that, even matching plates and dishes to go with them. My aunt has them now and we use them every year for our family Christmas supper!

Siera December 19, 2012 at 12:57

My Aunt had the plates that matched those glasses when I was a kid!!!

Charlotte Boyer December 19, 2012 at 13:13

Lovely, Casey! I adore those striped ornaments and the presents wrapped in brown paper! Simply lovely :D

-Charlotte

Mel December 19, 2012 at 13:59

I adore all your Christmas decorations, I’m always looking for ideas to spruce up my home with little holiday touches here and there! I especially love how you hung the ornaments on the garland, I might try that idea out myself!

Deanna December 19, 2012 at 15:29

Everything looks so cute! You did a great job. I never got that much decorating done when we were still a military family. Although I did manage a tree and a vintage Christmas tablecloth most of the time. :-) I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Lisette December 19, 2012 at 16:12

We have that same ceramic tree! My dad finally figured out how to use it in our decorations this year. I think it was my great grandmas he said? I’m jelaous of those Motor Maids books you have. Have you read any of them? I do read a LOT of vintage young adult books, but I’ve not been able to get copies of those and sometimes I’ll start a series and it turns out to be kind of dull, like the Ginny Gordon series.

Ashley December 19, 2012 at 16:49

So pretty and festive! I feel like you can never have too many decorations at Christmastime. (Though I draw the line at those blow-up things for your yard. No Bueno!) My Nana had that same Christmas tree statue when I was growing up! (I’m hoping she’s still got it tucked away somewhere!) It was always my favourite along with another one she had that was a wind up music box. That one played O Tannenbaum as is spun around. Hours of entertainment for all the little kids. Hop you are having the merriest of seasons!

Lisa Suit December 19, 2012 at 22:34

My Grandma had that little green tree in the last picture, brings back lovely memories :)

Shelly December 19, 2012 at 23:18

Your home does indeed look very festive. You are lucky to have such beautiful decorations. It’s not something you find very much in thrift stores here or maybe I’m just not looking in the right ones :D Job well done! Can’t wait to see what goodies you have been baking.

Jessica December 20, 2012 at 05:02

Your decor is all so lovely, cheerful and cute! I really like the diversity of pieces and colours amongst your collection, as ours (which I lovingly refer to as the “motley Christmas crew”) is much the same. Thank you for sharing your festive decor with us – it was oodles of fun to see.

Lori December 20, 2012 at 12:08

Lovely tree. I love after Christmas sales too. ALL of my things are from after Christmas clearance sales and thrift stores. Lovely blog and congratulations on Miss Blueberry.

audrey December 20, 2012 at 16:53

love your decorations! it looks lovely.

xx Audrey

fashionhightea.blogspot.com

maddie December 21, 2012 at 08:30

Your Christmas decorations came together nicely! It’s hard to get a cohesive look without looking to sparse or too clutter but I think you hit it right in the middle. Happy holidays to you and blueberry!

Elke December 25, 2012 at 08:07

Merry christmas and a happy new year!
I wish you a lot of inspiration, good health (you both, or rather alle three of you) and lots and lots of peace and love.
God bless!

Rebekka December 28, 2012 at 07:50

I adore those 12 days of Christmas glasses…would love to find some of those around here :)

Pansy Lane December 29, 2012 at 09:39

Ooh I love everything! Especially the vintage ornaments and garland. This year I saw SO many pretty decorations on blogs and things and it made me want to create more of a collection of vintage stuff for next year, so I’m making it a personal mission to keep an eye out for things!

Viola December 29, 2012 at 15:40

A few years ago, you were the first vintage blog we encountered and you have always inspired us. So we would like to give you the Very Inspiring Blogger Award!

Victoria / Justice Pirate December 30, 2012 at 11:00

Your home is so pretty. I love all the decorations.

Helen Mae December 31, 2012 at 15:00
Sue December 31, 2012 at 15:17

I love your decorations, and I look forward to hearing about your baking!