outfit: a shift in thinking

dress: Target | shoes: Forever 21 | bow: self made | tights: Motherhood Maternity | earrings: unknown

Twenty weeks pregnant means I’m definitely moving from making regular clothes work into roomier garments (and yes, maternity clothes–I got desperate and acquired a few things recently!). This dress (which is not maternity–I bought it years ago) I knew would be perfect once the weather cooled down–and it has been so comfortable to wear! I know some people hate shift dresses on pregnant women (and I thought I’d shy away from this style), but let me tell you: this is perhaps the most comfortable I’ve been in a long while! lol. I think it really boils down to proportions though: since this is a shift shape, the shorter hemline works to counter balance the fullness.

Not much else to say about this outfit–so let’s talk about something exciting! A couple weeks ago I had the anatomical ultrasound, where we found out the baby’s gender! I was pretty convinced I was having a boy–but was I right?

Nope!!! To say we’re excited to welcome a little girl into our lives next year doesn’t quiet sum it up! Either would have been delightful and welcomed with open hearts, but I have to admit the idea of a “mini Casey” (as everyone keeps referring to her!) is more than a bit fun! There has been a lot of knitting of little girl things (including the sweater above; I plan on doing a knitting post in a couple weeks) and perhaps a few stops at thrift stores for cute girl clothes since we found out. I can’t help it: suddenly teeny tiny clothes are irresistible to me! Poor SH–he keeps coming home to the top drawer in the nursery dresser getting more and more full. At least we’re doing it on the cheap (thrift stores and hand-me-downs from kind friends–something we’re really thankful for!). hehe!

Now just 19 more weeks until we meet her! It can’t come soon enough… :)

November 5, 2012 · 88 lovely thoughts
posted in outfits + wardrobe · tags: , ,

Renee November 5, 2012 at 06:53

You are going to have so much fun making cute little girl things.

I think the dress is cute. I really hate seeing people wear their same t-shirts that are all stretched out of place. I think you need room to breathe in clothes :)

My daughter is supposed to have US soon to find out if she is having another girl or a boy. I think she is about a month behind you.

Iris @ theyummyblogsisters November 5, 2012 at 06:54

congratulations! you look beaming and stunning, love the dress and would wear it without being pregnant :)

Joni November 5, 2012 at 07:00

Have you seen the Simplicity reprints of 1950s baby girl clothes. To. Die. For.

Ginny November 5, 2012 at 07:18

You look gorgeous in that dress ! And those shoes, yum :)

Amanda November 5, 2012 at 07:18

Congratulations Casey!!!! For some reason I just knew you were having a little girl. ;) I can’t wait to see all the cute little girl things you make her! And by the way, I’m a pretty big fan of shift dresses on pregnant women – it reminds me of all the picture of my pregnant Mom in her handmade maternity-wear… ;)

You definitely have that glow!!

Allynara November 5, 2012 at 07:24

Did anyone already tell you that you look really beautiful while being pregnant? I always thought so, but since you’re pregnant, there’s definatly that extra ‘glow’ to you. Oh, and I can’t wait to see all the babyclothes :D

Enjoy your pregnancy to the fullest!

Molly November 5, 2012 at 07:24

Casey, you look beautiful! I think the outfit looks great. So exciting that you’ll have a little girl to doll up. :-)

Jenny November 5, 2012 at 07:26

Oh, that’s wonderful! Had a feeling Blueberry was a girl!

Paige @ Little Nostalgia November 5, 2012 at 07:35

I was hoping you’d have a girl so you could make her all sorts of fabulous dresses! Congratulations! And speaking of fabulous dresses, the one you’re wearing looks great. Very comfortable looking, indeed!

Alli November 5, 2012 at 07:39

Yayyyyyy Casey and SH! A little girl!!! I’m SO thrilled for you! :D
You’ll get to make all those gorgeous little girl dresses now :)
And you are looking gorgeous…..you definitely have the mummy glow.
Big hugs xoxoxo

Alli November 5, 2012 at 07:45

Now I’m eagerly awaiting to hear what gorgeous name she will have. Oooooo…..I can’t wait!!!! :D

Stephanie November 5, 2012 at 07:44

I’m not usually a fan of shift dresses at all, but you look great! Your cute little legs and great shoes make it stylish and chic. Congrats on finding out it’s a girl!

Simone November 5, 2012 at 08:13

Oh my – squeeling with excitement at a little girl!!!! I have 2 little girls myself & I love making pretty dresses for them. I absolutely adore your dress I think shift dresses are a v.chic & modest choice for pregnant women you look lovely.

Brigid November 5, 2012 at 08:14

Hooray! So glad! Can’t wait to see the little darling.
That sweater is adorable, and I can’t wait to see the rest of all your knitting extravaganzas (if I may call such teeny things that)!

Blessings,
Brigid
The Middle Sister and Singer

MB@YarnUiPhoneApp2.6 November 5, 2012 at 08:18

I agree the dress is very cute…and you could wear it with black leggings and Mary Janes as you as move along in your pregnancy.

Kat November 5, 2012 at 08:28

I am so happy you are having a girl! The vintage girly outfits are to squeal over. Can’t wait to see what additions you add to her wardrobe as well as yours. We have Munchkin #2 in the planning and we are hoping for a little girl this time, not that little boys are fun. The Hubby loves the collections of vintage planes and cars we have for his nursery.

Laura S. November 5, 2012 at 08:37

Congratulations! You look adorable. Your dress reminds me of a vintage artist’s smock with that cute black bow. I think you’re right, the shorter length helps balance it out. I hope you continue this series; I love seeing what maternity outfits you come up with. :)

jessie heninger November 5, 2012 at 09:03

Congratulations! Sewing for a baby girl will be so much fun!

Miss Virginia November 5, 2012 at 09:29

That dress looks adorable! And congratulations on having a girl!! I know you will have fun dressing her up XP

Victoria / Justice Pirate November 5, 2012 at 09:30

So glad to hear that you are going to have a little girl to make dresses for. How precious. You look amazing! I finally made a dress (sewed it from a vintage 40s pattern). Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration to finally do it. May you and SH have a wonderful week!!

Michelle @ needle and nest November 5, 2012 at 09:33

Congratulations!!! Little girls are so much fun. I have one of each… and a surprise baby due in about a week. You look fabulous and I love your outfit. I’ve always found that dresses and skirts are the most comfortable things I can wear when pregnant.

Rachel November 5, 2012 at 09:35

Girl babies ARE fun :) You get to dress them like dollies… and they look so cute!
And the vintage knitting patterns are REALLY pretty… I posted a cute elf-like one on my site the other day :)

Rowena November 5, 2012 at 09:48

Since I have a 4-month old now (and am already missing the LITTLE baby phase), I am enjoying watching your progress so much! The dress and tights look great!

I got a couple old (60′s) and handmade maternity dresses on etsy (shipping cost more than the dress) that were tents and just shortened them. They were so great for that last month and a half. Nothing else compares!

Also – you’ve probably been told this already, but you don’t have to cut out heels entirely as you go on. My doctor encouraged me to wear at least a 1 inch (solid, not kitten) heel. Since your feet may grow (mine did), you have some shoe shopping to look forward to as well!

Little girls are so great!

Sarah (aka OldeSarah) November 5, 2012 at 10:02

You look wonderful! As always! Like someone mentioned before, you do really have that “glow”, you just look so happy! It makes me smile just looking at your happy smile!
I hope you feel wonderful too, and that you can really enjoy this time!
I am so happy for you that you and SH are having a baby girl!
But I am sure you would have loved it, no matter what!
It might sound cliché (but I guess clichés are clichés for a reason), but as long as the baby (and mom!) are healthy, it’s all good! That is the only thing you can wish for, right?

Secretly I would love a girl too, I think I would feel more comfortable/confident with a girl. But I bet you, if I ever have a baby, it will probably be a boy :p! HA!

Lots of love,
Sarah
(aka OldeSarah)

Tiffany November 5, 2012 at 10:05

Congratulations!! And, I love that shift dress on you!

Nancy November 5, 2012 at 10:18

Congratulations!!!! You are the sweetest person and so delightful. Cannot wait to see your little girl and learn her name. Especially looking forward to knitting presentation because I have transitioned from sewing (spring) to cooler weather knitting and I especially am hooked on socks – and the other day I knitted a baby sock with eye of partridge heel and that was the cutest thing in the world. he he Unfortunately I will have to give them to my granddaughter for her little puppy!!!!

Tasha November 5, 2012 at 10:19

Congrats on finding out you’re having a girl! What fun! There is soooo much cute stuff to knit for little kids, especially girls.

And I think the shift dress looks adorable, reminds me of some of the outfits Lucy wore on I Love Lucy when she was pregnant. :)

Roxy November 5, 2012 at 10:22

That outfit looks really fun and super comfy!

Sara November 5, 2012 at 10:29

Yay! You will be a wonderful mama for a girl! I can not believe you can still wear those heels, lucky you. I hope the rest of the your pregnancy is easy and try to relish this time as it goes by so quickly.

Charlotte November 5, 2012 at 10:41

You look adorable – and goodness, your baby belly is getting so big! Many congratulations, and I bet you’re really looking forward to dressing your little mini-me in loads of the cute dresses!

xx Charlotte

Tyan November 5, 2012 at 10:55

I thought you were having a girl! You have mentioned being sick and tired, and all those extra girl hormones are a doozy on Mama! Believe me, I know. You are so beautiful pregnant!

Mary November 5, 2012 at 11:07

Girl, how are you wearing those shoes?? You look great.

Melissa B November 5, 2012 at 11:20

You look fantastic! Your dress is darling; I can’t believe it’s from Target! You will have such fun with little girl clothesI I had a boy first and then two girls, and girl clothes are definitely way cuter and more fun!

Cheryl November 5, 2012 at 11:23

A girl?! How exciting! Your outfit is adorable.

Amy November 5, 2012 at 11:24

That dress is what led me to your blog a million years ago! I bought it at Target and was struggling with how to wear it, and I saw you wearing it with boots and a scarf around your hair. I can’t remember the website but it was one where people posted their outfits and other users commented. Anyway, glad to see it’s still in the rotation! It makes a great maternity dress too. You look adorable.

Annabelle November 5, 2012 at 11:29

You just look so happy in all of your maternity posts – it is wonderful to see such joy! This outfit seems to suit you quite well, I love how you added the bow. I can’t wait to see what other clothes you will be making up for the little one.

jen November 5, 2012 at 11:33

aw, casey, that’s so exciting! that little girl is going to be the best dressed baby in town. :) and you look great, you’re really making that dress work.

Lauren November 5, 2012 at 11:52

If I ever get pregnant, I plan on living in shift dresses. I just think they are so adorable with a big bump :) You look positively radiant, Casey – I’m happy to hear that everything is rolling along smoothly for ya. And A GIRL!? OMGGGG CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting!! :D

Quincy November 5, 2012 at 12:00

Casey, you look adorable!! That dress is too cute. I always kinda liked shift dresses on pregnant women.. like Mia Farrow in Rosemarys Baby :D
Also, can’t get over how much you belly has grown! So excited!! Little Casey, yay! ;)

Mel November 5, 2012 at 12:02

Congratulations once again, Casey! I know having a little girl will be such a delight, especially since you’ll be able to share your love of vintage fashion and history with her! When she grows older she will probably begin ransacking your closet for fashion inspiration, haha!

Heather November 5, 2012 at 12:20

You’re an inspiration! I’m 20 weeks along too, and I’m so excited to get wardrobe ideas. We have been waiting to make a general announcement until we could tell family members in person so I’ve been wearing schlumpy oversize clothing to hide the pregnancy so far. The family knows now so this week we’re planning to start telling others, and I’m very excited to wear something flattering again!

Marjorie November 5, 2012 at 12:32

Oh Congratulations again, and hooray for a girl! : ) I felt quite the same way when I learned that our little one was to be a girl (I found out the day before my birthday…..what a wonderful gift!!) I cam remember that day like it was yesterday! It all goes so fast….I know you’ve probably heard that a million times by now, but I just can’t believe how true that is! I love that frock! It looks oh so cozy and pretty! : ) Wishing you a lovely November Casey! : )

Sarah November 5, 2012 at 13:03

You look so chic! I adore your maternity style – fabulous! Congratulations on your baby girl!!!

Sydney November 5, 2012 at 13:31

What a stylish pregnant lady you are! Such a cute ensemble :)

~Syd

Susan - Knitters Delight November 5, 2012 at 14:16

You look amazing in your shift dress. The proper length indeed. Congrats on your baby girl news. I was convinced I was having a boy also, but little girl is here and loving it. Great job on the knitting also. I only managed to complete two before my LO was born.

Technicolor Cutie November 5, 2012 at 14:57

Horray! I had a little girl. Get prepared, they are all too sweet!

Deanna November 5, 2012 at 15:09

Congratulations Casey! Little girls are so sweet. The tiny little dresses will be so much fun! And you can make bonnets from vintage patterns! I love a pretty bonnet pattern, but they are a little too hard to get away with for a boy nowadays. Also, your dress looks really cute!

Jessica November 5, 2012 at 15:10

Casey, I am so, so happy for you and husband! How sweet and wonderful to know that a little angel is on her way to you both. Thank you for sharing the gender with us, honey.

Huge hugs!

Katrina @ Edelweiss Patterns November 5, 2012 at 15:18

Oh my goodness! You must be just ecstatic! I can’t wait to see all your matching mother-daughter outfits to come!

Caroline November 5, 2012 at 15:49

Love the outfit, looks great on you! I had a feeling it was going to be a girl! Congratulations, hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :) Can;t wait to see all the baby outfits!:)

Marmielu November 5, 2012 at 17:01

You look so cute! When I was pregnant with you I had that navy, flowered Laura Ashley dress, which I wore with ivory tights, and maybe some red flats.
Mom