outfit: baby packing mama

dress: vintage, thrifted | sweater: vintage, estate sale | belt: thrifted | shoes: ASOS | earrings: Etsy | bracelets: thrifted

Needless to say, this is one of the last of my truly vintage dresses that fit (thankfully, most of my blouses and sweaters still do!). That little person in there has been busy growing the past week! Which of course means my belly is growing. I have been so hungry lately too (a welcome change from the previous 2 months), so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a little plumping-up going on. hehe!

But more on this 1940s dress: I thrifted it years ago and could never part with it despite that it’s always been too large. The fabric is so charming as is the handmade nature of the dress. It’s still a bit big pretty much everywhere except my belly, but because it “fits” it works! Belting helps a bit too since I have to hike it up over the bump. I think I may have gotten my seasons mixed up a bit with this dress though: it’s far more spring-like than autumn! But the weather is being finicky right now–low 70s one day and mid 80s the next. Frustrating with an already limited closet… (Thank goodness for lots of cute sweaters like this 1950s era beaded estate sale find.) Hilariously, not 15 minutes after I took these photos, I sneezed and broke the belt. Lesson learned: vintage belts that have seen better days are not the best choice when you’re wearing them over your ribcage atop the bump (and are prone to rather violent sneezes anyway). lol.

Oh, and the title of this post? Pistol Packin’ Mama has been going through my head (don’t try to understand why; things randomly come to me in the wee hours and stick for the next day!). lol. But it is one of my 1940s favorites. :)

September 26, 2012 · 39 lovely thoughts
posted in baby diary,outfits + wardrobe · tags: , , ,

Sew Little Time September 26, 2012 at 06:18

you look absolutely beautiful – i iwsh i had looked half as good when i was pregnant! i think i just looked fat! the embroidery on that cardigan is lovely.

Anna | Mormor hade stil September 26, 2012 at 06:19

I love that sweater! Wish it lived in my wardrobe. :-)

Paige @ Little Nostalgia September 26, 2012 at 06:47

You look great! The tiny little bump is adorable.

Jessica September 26, 2012 at 06:57

Fantastic post name – and outfit. You are truly the picture of mommy-to-be-bliss!

Marmielu September 26, 2012 at 07:55

I LOVE that sweater!
Mom

Nora September 26, 2012 at 07:56

You look so beautiful! I can tell that you’re really really excited about the baby and I’m getting excited too ahahah! You look radiant I must say!

Nora

Szarka September 26, 2012 at 08:21

My mother says that in the ’40s and early 50′s, shortages were such that pregnant women would unpick the sideseams of their dresses, and cover the gaps with cardigans and coats. So thrifty! Of course we as spoiled modern sewists are usually able to make new garments for new needs, so you’ll be looking out for fun maternity wear….just wanted to offer an explanation why there won’t be a lot of early-mid-century maternity clothes out there, despite being the beginning of the baby boom.

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:23

Oh wow–I would have never thought of doing that! But I guess when you have to, you come up with really creative ways of working around things like pregnancy clothes. Thanks for sharing that! :)

Tasha September 26, 2012 at 08:25

Super cute how you styled that! And it looks so great with that pop of turquoise, what a fabulous cardigan. Maybe it’s the sailboat print behind you seeping into my brain, but I thought the little embroidered feathers looked like tiny little sailboats! lol

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:24

Actually, now that I look at it, I think they look like sailboats from afar too! :D hehe! (Which would be so neat if they were…)

Victoria / Justice Pirate September 26, 2012 at 08:35

You look amazing!!! Aww. What a beautiful baby bump this is indeed!!! Is this the belt that broke or was that a different one?

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:24

That’s the one I busted. ;) lol.

Lauren September 26, 2012 at 08:41

You are seriously the cutest lil mama. I love this outfit – it’s so bright & cheerful! And I know what you mean about the constantly changing temperatures – it was in the low 40s the other night; I had to turn on the heated blanket *and* get my down comforter. Today, it’s creeping up to 90. Also, the changes in temperature are making me feel like death in the morning haha. SUX.

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:25

That sounds like here (although so far–knock on wood–we’ve avoided creeping beyond the mid 80s. :p ). I feel like this weather is wrecking havoc on my sinuses (which are already unhappy–thank you, seasonal allergies) and my energy levels. Boo! :p Can’t wait until it straightens itself out. rofl.

Achaia September 26, 2012 at 08:44

Cute, cute, cute! I love seeing how your incorporating your baby bump with your style. *smile* It’s hilarious that you broke the belt too! Oh, and about the song… that’s just great. I’ll have the funniest little songs running through my head sometimes. When I sing them out loud my family thinks I fell off my rocker!
Happy Wednesday to you, Casey!
xox Achaia

Bunny Moreno September 26, 2012 at 09:19

I love how you embrace motherhood!! You look super cute! How fun it must be to dress your baby bump with vintage hehe xox

Hannah September 26, 2012 at 10:02

We’re pregnant together Casey!! I’m due with my second lil blessing in May!! Love the third picture the most! It’s so precious!! I’m happy to hear you’re feeling better, what a blessing! Can’t wait to follow you through your pregnancy and see pic’s of your baby!

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:26

Congratulations, Hannah!!! :D

hillary September 26, 2012 at 11:50

You are looking so adorably cute! I am due in four more weeks (looking less adorable at this point!) and I have loved elastic-waisted maxi skirts this this pregnancy…I just hike ‘em over the bump, and then I don’ t have to worry about non-maternity shirts and blouses being a teeeny bit too short. My style gets a little more bohemian when I am pregnant, I think! Although I have also come to appreciate the vintage house dress/muumuu (the type that buttons or zips up the front and doesn’t have a defined waist). A-line and comfy, what’s not to love! Plus they are inexpensive since they don’t flatter non-pregnant figures. I usually shorten them so they are a less dowdy length. I think they will be useful for nursing too, since they open at the neck. Something like that might satisfy your vintage taste if it has cute sleeves, pockets, or neckline/piping detail!

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:28

Oh wow–I honestly can’t wait until I’m closer to the due date. ;) I’m not the most patient human on the face of the earth, and keep lamenting that it takes so long for babies to “cook” in there. ;) lol. That housedress/robe style is on my watchlist and sewing list as well! I have a couple cute 50s and 60s patterns I’m thinking of making up as this pregnancy progresses (in comfy, cozy fabrics like flannel!), since the idea of something like that sounds so comfortable… :)

All the best to you and your little one during these last few weeks!

hillary September 26, 2012 at 11:52

Like this! You might even already have this pattern:

Portia September 26, 2012 at 11:58

Ha ha! I love the “sneezed and broke my belt” snippet. Glad to hear you’ve got your appetite back at last. You’re the most stylish preggers lady I think I’ve seen! Sounds like you’re starting to enjoy this time which is great, because it really is very special. I remember being very aware that while I was pregnant, it was all about me. People fawn over you and you get really pampered. I remember thinking “make the most of it P, because once baby is here, no-one will even notice you’re there” and I was right ;) Which is the way it should be of course!
But anyway’s, this is YOUR time. So take all the fawning and pampering that get’s directed your way!
Px

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:30

I have to say, not always being the happiest in the limelight (I’m shy oftentimes in “offline” life… ;) ), I have been enjoying all this pregnancy attention. ;) lol. Something about after feeling ill for months it’s nice to have some excitement and pampering, maybe? lol.

Deanna September 26, 2012 at 12:06

You look so cute! It’s great when something you’ve held on to forever finally works. And as for mixed-up seasons… I’ve decided not to care what colors I’m supposed to be wearing and just wear bright, pretty colors whenever I want to, ’cause they make me happy.

Debi September 26, 2012 at 13:35

Absolutely adorable! It’s so funny because I’ve had that song in my head ALL WEEK :) I must have picked up your singing over the airwaves! I just love it!

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:30

hehe! That is hilarious we’ve both been having the same song go through our heads!

liza jane September 26, 2012 at 16:56

You look just lovely!

Annabelle September 26, 2012 at 16:56

You are so adorable. I love the combination of the sweater, dress and shoes. Though I agree that it gives a distinctly spring/summer vibe. I doubt any one will call you out on it, seeing as though you have a beautiful growing baby in your tummy :)

Clarissa Rivers September 26, 2012 at 19:32

Wow, I am totally taking a page from your maternity vintage style when I have a baby someday!

Lexi September 27, 2012 at 04:15

Oh, that cardigan is heaven Casey! You’re totally rocking the pregnancy. Are you making things, too? According to what I’ve seen happen to friends, blueberry is going to keep growing! x

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:31

I’m hoping to make a few things in the coming weeks–especially since it’s become apparent that the thrift stores aren’t being terribly forthcoming with elastic waist skirts and the like. ;) I actually started a skirt yesterday, but didn’t have the type of elastic I needed! So this weekend I plan on finishing it. :)

Elizabeth Rotering September 27, 2012 at 10:25

What kind of lipstick do you have on?? So Prettty!

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:32

It’s my perrenial favorite: MAC’s “Russian Red” over a red Revlon lip pencil. :)

Jolie Goodnight September 27, 2012 at 12:57

Oh my goodness I haven’t been able to stop by your blog in forever! I’m so happy that you and your husband are having a little one! You look beautiful and the idea of posting vintage style for pregnant women is brilliant. Have a great day!

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:32

Thank you so much for the congrats, Jolie! :)

Renee September 27, 2012 at 15:28

You look so cute. Who cares if it is fall colored dress or not. I hate all those rules about what you should wear. Your weather is similar to ours (probably hotter here) and I’m still wearing capris and sandals.

Have you started sewing anything?

Casey September 27, 2012 at 17:33

Yep–the sewing has commenced! I just started on a simple skirt yesterday, although I ended up not having the proper elastic on hand, so it’ll have to wait until this weekend to be finished. I’ve got to get some more of my plans figured out for maternity sewing, but now that the weather is (hopefully!) going to cool off soon, I probably should start sewing in more earnest. ;)

Viola September 28, 2012 at 23:15

You look so happy! I loved the title of your post, very funny.
I too have busted something because of a violent sneeze so you’re not alone ;)

Marie September 30, 2012 at 00:59

Oh my goodness! I haven’t been here in a bit and I just noticed that you’re expecting! Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Many good wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy!