inspiration + weekly snippets

06.10.12 | weekly inspiration

weekly visual moodboard | be sure to click on the image to view picture sources.

• Ever want to try hemstitching? There is a great tutorial from the Coletterie blog.
  • A lovely example of a WWII era dress sporting a propaganda print.
  • I’m really quite happy it’s summer right now (all my favorite sundresses can be worn!), but this cute outfit with it’s autumny colors and cape is making me wish just a tiny bit it were fall!
  • I love this collection of 1940s summer snapshots. So many gorgeous vintage looks to inspire this summer!
  • Faced with rain? Take some inspiration on classy vintage rainwear looks over at Couture Allure.

06.10.12 | the week in snapshots

weekly Instagram photos (my username is “elegantmusings”).

Hello, friends! Seems I disappeared again toward the end of the week, eh? Right smack in the middle of the week I developed some weird ailment, that while it didn’t have me totally down, meant I had to take a trip to the doctor’s (not my favorite thing to do) and found myself really sleepy for a few days. I seem to be on the mend though from this Mystery Illness (yay!)–just in time for the weekend and spending some time with SH at some local events, soaking up the sunshine.

I want to say a big thank you regarding your enthusiastic response to the launch of the Pattern Grading 101 series! I am so excited many of you are curious about this and are eager to learn more. The first technical post won’t be up until next week, but I can’ wait to share some of the tips and tricks I’ve picked up over the years. I think LBC put it best about how pattern grading can revolutionize your sewing toolkit: “. I don’t want to sound hyperbolic, but it has honestly been one of the most empowering things I’ve learned in the past . . . I don’t know how long.” I was fortunate enough to learn about grading just as I was beginning to seriously sew with vintage patterns (about age 17/18), and it opened my world to a lot of new possibilities as I was no longer tied to the numbers on the pattern envelope! Which might be a bad thing considering how many vintage patterns I have… *ahem*

Enough rambling about pattern grading… I have a feeling that I shall do plenty of that in the next month over the course of the series! Hope y’all are having a lovely, sun-filled weekend!

June 10, 2012 · 17 lovely thoughts
posted in links · tags: ,

Charlotte June 10, 2012 at 07:07

That WW2 propaganda print is so cool! I’ve not seen that one before.

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha’penny Vintage

Hannah Lenichek June 10, 2012 at 07:13

Your weekly snippets and inspiration inspire me too! :) And the pattern grading…thank you so much for doing the series! As a person who is built bigger with a tinier waist but wider shoulder and hips, I can ever find patterns for my exact measurements. But now, thanks to you, that won’t be a problem anymore. :D

Michelle @ If Toys Could Talk June 10, 2012 at 08:34

I love that propaganda print dress, and found it interesting that they printed the words as a mirrored image as a way to support the need for discretion during war time, as well as give the wearer a patriotic boost whenever she looked in the mirror. So clever!

Casey June 11, 2012 at 06:32

Isn’t that so neat?! It’s amazing to me how much of the idea of keeping things discreet and secret permeated so many areas of life during WWII.

Catherine Shu June 10, 2012 at 09:06

Thank you so much for including my photo of George! He is a very proud cat now :-) . I hope you feel better soon!

Casey June 11, 2012 at 06:33

You’re very welcome!!! :D Thanks for the get well wishes too–I seem to have felt a lot better the past 24 hours. Yay! ;)

Penny Dreadful Vintage June 10, 2012 at 12:12

That coded message WWII dress is incredible – I am having severe lust over it right now! What a perfect example of propaganda in fashion.

Penny Dreadful Vintage

Marmielu June 10, 2012 at 12:39

Of course, I love the cat picture, and want to try that chocolate chip cake……and I want a fluted pan like that to bake it in. Spelt flour is going on the grocery list.
Mom

Amy June 10, 2012 at 16:23

Beautiful pictures!!! I loved the WWII dress and the floral dress! Anything with flowers and amazing patters is awesome!!

Tasha June 10, 2012 at 17:26

Ooh, now one of your snapshots is making me hungry for the pizza baking book I just ordered… though may have to try it on the grill, way too hot right now to bake. lol

That propaganda dress is just fascinating! This weekend I cut out pieces and started sewing another dress after finishing up my first post-sewing-slump one (yay!). It’s actually making me think of Fall too, with an apple tree print that may be just screaming for a red cardigan to knit as a cover-up to carry it out of summer into fall! It’s so hard to just focus on the same season when my mind is bouncing around for inspiration. ;)

Casey June 11, 2012 at 06:34

Oooh! I can’t wait to see how your dress is coming along! :D

Cassie Stephens June 10, 2012 at 18:23

I am so stoked about this pattern-grading series! I just hope I can stick with it…I’m prone to procrastinating! I also adore your instagram shots…your cute bangs and the turban — love! Thanks for sharing! …Cassie

MissNathalieVintage June 10, 2012 at 18:28

Hi, that WWII dress is marvy.
Color me happy! I happened to be a visiting a charity shop one day with nothing in mind to buy. While browsing around I spot a rocking chair that happened to be just my size. And I’ve been wanting to buy a rocking chair for awhile. The price tag was for $45 and it was also on sale 40% off. I did a tiny dance and cheer and snapped it up right away. http://m253.photobucket.com/albumvie….html?newest=1 its so comfortable and in fantastic shape.

MissNathalieVintage June 10, 2012 at 18:34
Alli June 10, 2012 at 19:55

Hope you are feeling heaps better soon Casey. Hugs :)
xxoo

Casey June 11, 2012 at 06:35

Thanks, Alli! :)

Jessica June 11, 2012 at 16:54

I always adore your weekly inspiration posts. They balance serenity, beauty, and interesting topics so perfectly well. I’m especially touched (and honoured) that you included my real world gals of the 1940s post amongst your links, sweet Casey, thank you so much.