a sewing swap + sewing plans!

If you follow me on Facebook, you probably saw my little note about Gina’s post last week. If not, let me give some background on this sewing swap and project we’re working on in tandem. Several weeks ago I emailed Gina about some vintage patterns, and we ended up sending each other a few both to keep and borrow. I love doing these sorts of swaps with my fellow sewing friends; it’s just as neat to put together a package for someone whose blog I read as it is to get one! Gina was kind enough to lend me the cheongsam-inspired blouse pattern I’ve admired for so long (still trying to decide on fabric for this one–but I need to make it!), and send me a couple others in exchange as well. Aren’t they lovely?

But this little swap doesn’t end with patterns! We both decided we were going to make up one of the patterns we sent each other as a little joint “sew-along” of sorts. It was a hard decision, but I ended up going with the McCalls #7248 because it reminds me a bit of my wedding dress (which is vintage and dates to around the same time as the pattern). I loved wearing that dress on my wedding day, and have often thought I’d like a daywear version. So here’s my chance! Only instead of white linen as my wedding gown was, I’m opting for a fun, tropical print linen I have in my stash. (Yes, I realize half my summer sewing incorporates tropical prints–I blame living in Florida for three years where they were so plentiful!) I have some gorgeous red buttons that Jen gave me, and I think it’s going to make a fun, summer frock!

I’m hoping to share a few bits and pieces as I go along! So stay tuned for those snippets as well as the big reveal in about a month! In the meantime though, I’ve been finishing up my 1940s playsuit project, and hope to share the results of that with you soon! It’s so nice to spend some quality time with my machine again… hehe!

Thank you again, Gina, for sending me these! If you haven’t already, be sure to drop by her delightful blog!

June 11, 2012 · 20 lovely thoughts
posted in sewing · tags: , ,

Simone June 11, 2012 at 06:08

I love your choice of fabric & buttons for this dress, can’t wait to see the end result!! Happy sewing ;)

1congn1to June 11, 2012 at 06:20

The sew-along sounds real fun! I’m excited to know how it’ll turn out.

ywea June 11, 2012 at 06:24

a vintage patterns swap is a realy good idea :)

Quincy June 11, 2012 at 08:21

that dress with the buttons in the back is a dress!

Quincy June 11, 2012 at 08:21

dream, haha

Tasha June 11, 2012 at 08:42

What a fun swap! Gina’s cheongsam blouse is indeed so fabulous, I can see why you’d want to make one too! I love the idea of doing a day dress version of your wedding dress. What a great pattern to start with, and what great memories it’ll always stir up when you wear it. It’ll be awesome with that print and those buttons!

Incidentally the first thing I thought was “I -know- those red buttons in a different color!” I’ve been wracking my brain trying to remember if they were in my stash or on something I’ve made. I finally recalled that I used them (in black) on a cardigan I knit 2 years ago. How funny, I love when things like that happen! I need to pull out the thick sweater they’re on and take a pic to show you. lol

Hannah Lenichek June 11, 2012 at 09:57

Love the patterns! The McCalls 7248 is my favorite! Its gonna be so pretty! :D

oonaballoona June 11, 2012 at 12:41

agh i ADORE your choice….. you’ve reminded me i have to sewing swap photos to post. when are they coming out with the implants for brain notifications and hovercrafts?

Gina June 11, 2012 at 14:17

Thanks Casey! I am looking forward to this fun swap! I can’t wait to see the “wedding dress” you make up for the everyday. It will be fun wearing it, knowing it was inspired by a very special day in your life.

Qui Pardue June 11, 2012 at 15:18

aww, the back of the dress is so cute, and totally looks like your wedding dress! Beautiful wedding pics by the way, did you make your dress??

Annabelle June 11, 2012 at 15:40

I thought your wedding dress was just gorgeous, and this is such a fun and playful interpretation of that dress. I can’t wait to see the finished dress.

Tilly June 11, 2012 at 16:01

Oh my! These patterns are just so lovely! The back on the one you’re making is incredible. The middle one looks like a lovely quick make – something I’d wear all the time. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with xx

Rochelle New June 11, 2012 at 16:19

Your wedding dress is absolutely gorgeous, and I LOVE the idea of a day dress version! The back buttons are way too cute!

Jessica June 11, 2012 at 16:48

What a lovely idea! While not quite the same thing, I’m a scrapbooker and so is my aunt (we’re two of just three in our family) and we sometimes issue two person scrapbooking challenges for one another. I love the intimacy and fun that comes with trading items and/or ideas with just one partner and then going off to work on your respective projects. Can’t wait to see your finished garment – I know it will be marvelous!

maddie June 11, 2012 at 20:45

what a great collaboration! It’s great to read about other bloggers teaming up for a good cause, which is sewing.

FYI – I love you wedding dress. So simple. So chic…

Jenny June 12, 2012 at 02:03

I’ve had a similar pattern (simplicity 3964) on my verrry long pattern wishlist for a while, so I can’t wait to see how yours turns out! I do wonder though, how would you go about doing yourself up if you had no-one to help?!

Renee June 13, 2012 at 00:49

Tht dress pattern is so cute. What a fun swap for both of you. Love that blouse pattern.

Great print.

Rachel June 14, 2012 at 13:21

That dress is going to be SO CUTE. Oh man, the red buttons, with that print? Darling! I’m excited to see how it turns out, it really is a wonderful looking pattern.

Canada Webbing June 14, 2012 at 19:51

Ooh, I’m so excited to see the end result! Good luck! :-)

Jayne July 9, 2012 at 22:25

I have just had to buy that cute as a button 7248 pattern. I used to have a vintage dress just like it & now I will be able to recreate my own. Thanks