converting earrings diy

05.07.12 | earring diy

I’ve had a couple requests both here on the blog and on my YouTube channel on how I convert clip or screw back earrings to pierced. It’s super easy and when I recently was converting a pair I picked up at an estate sale (I did a show and tell video here), I thought I’d document how I did it. I’m sure most of you already know how to do this, but I thought it’d be a fun Monday DIY to kick off the week. So if you’ve got some old clip earrings that you never wear (I live in fear of one slipping off unnoticed and getting lost!) and would like to add a pierced post back to, then read on!

One thing I would like to note is that it would be a good idea to determine if by converting you are devaluing the item prior to doing this. All of the earrings I’ve converted have been unmarked costume jewelry or Fakelite, but remember by altering a designer piece or highly sought after material (like Bakelite) you could be damaging the collectible value. If that doesn’t matter, then no worries!

I think so far, these white flower earrings are my favorite I’ve thrifted. I’ve worn them a lot the past week, and adore how large they are. I usually wear a lot of dangly sort of earrings, but I’ve rediscovered button styles of late… Just another thing to keep my eyes peeled for in thrift stores!

Do you prefer clip back earrings to pierced? Would you consider converting a vintage pair of clip/screw back earrings?

May 7, 2012 · 31 lovely thoughts
posted in tutorials · tags: , ,

Clare May 7, 2012 at 06:49

i’m all for a bit of DIY action, so am totally keen for more videos!

Maja May 7, 2012 at 06:49

Oh thank you for this video. I’ve had a pair of clip back earrings for ages that I just haven’t worn as I’m affraid to loose them but now I will make them into pierced earring yay;)

Tasha May 7, 2012 at 07:53

I’ll definitely convert some earrings! I used to have my earlobes stretched, so screw back styles are nearly impossible for me to wear, so I wear either posts with wide backs or clip on. But clip ons are sooo uncomfortable they drive me mad after a short while. And of course like you said there’s always the fear of losing one. I have a head start on a pair of earrings of my grandmother’s with palm trees on them, as one screw back fell off. lol Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Gina May 7, 2012 at 09:25

I have been doing this for a couple of years, but I used hot glue, it doesn’t work well, the posts came off. Then I tried super glue, same thing my post came off. Darn, I would love to know what glue you used with success, but I respect and understand your position. I think I might go to lowe’s and check out what they have in glues. I was surprised that super glue didn’t work. It was like the glue stayed in a puddle to one side and snapped off. It really didn’t marry the two pieces together. I have some earrings from my grandmother I would like to change over someday. thanks for this great tut!

annaintechnicolor May 7, 2012 at 09:48

Thank you so much for posting this video tutorial! I got a jewelry-making kit a while back and have been trying to get my feet wet, but there’s just so much to learn! I did turn some porcelain tea-pot beads into pendants a few weeks ago for a tea party I held. That was an interesting experience lol.

I definitely prefer pierced earrings! Clip-back earrings never stay in place for me, although they are my grandmother’s favorite. Interestingly enough, she’s 92, has had 6 children, but to this day is terrified of getting her ears pierced!

Roxy May 7, 2012 at 09:57

Great tute! I’m very jealous of those ivory flower earrings you found, i’ve been looking around for some cabochons similar to that.

Pamela May 7, 2012 at 10:24

I love this! I actually have a pair of earrings that broke and it occurs to me that I could fix them by doing this! I’m so excited because I was so sad when they broke! Thanks Casey!

Becca May 7, 2012 at 10:39

This is a great idea! I definitely prefer posts over clips. The clips almost always bother my ears, and like you, I worry I’ll lose one the whole time I’m wearing them. I acquired some clip on earrings from an estate sale a while back that would be great candidates for this change. I’m looking forward to trying this for myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

Katrina May 7, 2012 at 11:30

Fantastic! I do have a pair of screw-backs that I can’t get just right – either they’re too tight and painful or they keep slipping off. I don’t know why it never occurred to me to convert. Now I can! Thank you so much!

Elina May 7, 2012 at 12:28

I’d love to see a how-to video about converting pierced to (modern style) clip-ons! :) I can only wear clip-ons and screw-backs nowadays, wearing pierceds became too painful :(

Anne On May 12, 2012 at 11:30

I am so sad that you do this to clip-on earrings! I cannot have my ears pierced and the only way I can wear earrings is to find vintage screw-backs and clip-ons. I can appreciate a good DIY but please consider making studs from other sources instead.

Seraphinalina May 7, 2012 at 12:51

I actually don’t have my ears pierced so I love older jewellry because the are less likely to be for pierced ears. The screw backs are much more comfortable than clips in my experience.

Sarah May 7, 2012 at 15:39

Like Elina, I’d love to see how to make pierced earrings into clips. I know that a jeweller can do so, but is there any way to do it yourself? I don’t have pierced ears and, like the grandma mentioned earlier, am terified of getting them done! So I look for clips at thrift and antique stores. :) It is hard to find the daintier designs I prefer, but I do have about half a dozen really nice ones. I just need to wear them more often…… :)

MissNathalieVintage May 7, 2012 at 19:00

Super fantastic DIY! You always have such great ideas. Keep up the awesome work.

Jessica May 7, 2012 at 19:49

Terrific, really helpful tutorial, Casey! I adore earrings so much (to which end I have four holes in each ear, though I generally only wear anything other than studs in the bottom hole), but my pesky nickel allergy means that I don’t have the ability to buy and wear many vintage pairs, unless I know for certain they’re made from a nickel-free metal (such as sterling silver). Who knows though, maybe one day I’ll find some such (safe-for-me) clip-on earrings and will be able to use this wonderful tutorial to convert them.

Wishing you a marvelous Monday & week ahead,
Jessica

meredith May 7, 2012 at 20:01

Thanks so much for making this video! I’m always hesitant to buy old clip-ons but now I can succumb, happy in the knowledge that I can actually wear them!

Lisa May 7, 2012 at 22:39

Thanks!!! I can’t wait to try this! Keep the DIY vids coming!! :)

Katie May 8, 2012 at 02:44

Clever! All of screw backs are the china/ porcelain flower ones. Don’t want to mess with them. Your ears learn to adjust anyway I find.

Djana May 8, 2012 at 15:20

I have found that often converted clip ons to posts hang top heavy. I either add a drop of rubber cement to the bottom back of the earring or, if possible, when mounting the post place it higher on the earring back than it was originally.

MissNthalieVintage May 8, 2012 at 17:28

I have a pair of earrings (they do not lay flat , white roses) similar to these which I found at Payless Shoe source on an outing one day last year. You have inspired me to wear these earrings more often.

Jamie Forsberg May 9, 2012 at 01:04

Loved your hair in this video! You looked so pretty! How did you do your hair?

Heather May 9, 2012 at 07:51

Loved the video! I have just (JUST) started discovering local thrift shops and didn’t think to look at the jewellery sections (silly me!). I’m going to be on the lookout now, great finds!

tasterspoon May 9, 2012 at 14:02

Also don’t have pierced ears, but I love how earrings look so I’m thrilled to pieces when I find the rare clip on and will often buy it even if it’s not that great. It never occurred to me to thrift for them! Of course, I loathe the pinching and end up removing them shortly after I make my entrance; the screw backs are a little better. I used to have a few magnet ones that simulated pierced but can’t find them outside of Claire’s. I flirt with the idea of piercing, but I’ve made it 38 years without, it’s almost a point of pride. Then again, my grandmother pierced when she was in her 70′s, so who knows.

Karen May 9, 2012 at 21:20

I just recently started reading your blog, but have already backtracked to the beginning of this site so I could see it all (admittedly, at times I just drooled over the pictures!). But I loved this tutorial! I can’t wait to start reading your blog in “real” time :-)

Kailey May 15, 2012 at 05:08

Ahhh thank you so much for sharing this tutorial with us! Very very helpful and I will definitely be keeping this in mind for future use <3

Clip Earrings June 12, 2012 at 01:45

This in no way struck me in order to music to them! Naturally , We hate the actual pinching as well as wind up eliminating all of them soon after We create the|healthcare professional|personal|my own, personal|search terms|my own , personal|medical professional|published|health care provider|my business|all of my|of my|excellent|my own personal|keyword phrases|a|offered|economical|day-to-day|web page} entry; the actual mess shells are a small much better. I did previously possess a couple of magnetic types which lab-created pierced however can not locate them beyond Claire’s. We fidanzato armed with the idea of piercing, however I have caused it to be 37 many years without having, it is nearly a place associated with satisfaction. On the other hand, the|healthcare professional|personal|my own, personal|search terms|my own , personal|medical professional|published|health care provider|my business|all of my|of my|excellent|my own personal|keyword phrases|a|offered|economical|day-to-day|web page} grandma pierced whenever the girl was at the girl 70′s, aren’t understands.

Bonnie Rasmussen September 12, 2012 at 13:26

I really dislike wire hook earrings, but I love wearing earrings that dangle. I would like to convert some of my hook-style to decorative posts that allow earrings to dangle, but I’m not sure where to start. I’ve purchased the posts from a fittings website, but they’re designed for people who are designing their own earrings from scratch. Do you have any ideas on how to start? Using two jump rings would work, but wouldn’t look too pleasing and make the earring a bit too long.

Mary connor September 16, 2012 at 11:38

Hi please tell me what size (millimeter) do I get in th eposts. Thanks

Lisa G. September 27, 2012 at 20:07

I enjoyed this empowering vid. For those viewers in the market for fashionable new clip earrings, I was surprised to see so many available at the jewelry sale/clearance area of a Kohl’s store. Maybe they are not as rare as we think. Of course, if you fall in love with a thrift pair, the vintage score is fun, plus you can remake them if you want. I’ll be trying it soon!

SAE October 7, 2012 at 08:30

Your tutirial is excellent. Please put me onyour email list.