warm-weather things

Today it’s a bit gloomy; warm, but the sun is playing hide and seek. Later this week it’s supposed to be sunny and warm, giving us a bit of a summer tease! So I thought in honor of this wacky, warm-then-cool weather, I’d share a few early 1950s summer fashion scans with you!

I love these brightly colored, Claire McCardell-esque summer cottons! The yellow-gold playsuit has to be my favorite; would still look sweet today during a summertime trip to the beach.

Be sure to enlarge these to see the dress details. The red plaid dress is especially fetching with a series of black buttons along the hip for some added emphasis (remember that in the 50s large hips weren’t a “bad” thing!).

Espadrilles are always a summer classic, and I love these with interchangeable laces! Such cute footwear from the classic Kedettes label.

A couple of gorgeous, organdy dresses. I love the sharp, exaggerated collar and cuffs on the plaid dress–very striking!

It’s still a tiny bit too chilly to think of swimsuits here (or I might just be too much of a chicken! hehe.), but 50s swimsuits are still my dream swimwear! (Thankfully, there are many companies that are making vintage inspired swimwear now, so there are options!)

More 50s swimwear inspiration, this time from the classic Jantzen label! I love the suit in the background–though it had to have had some serious boning in the bodice to keep that up. hehe. You could also get matching swimcaps back then!

I hope you enjoyed these scans! Any summery styles that are catching your eye today?

April 30, 2012 · 19 lovely thoughts
posted in misc,vintage inspiration · tags: ,

Marmielu April 30, 2012 at 09:15

I just have to say how inspiring it is to see that first scan, with the redhead in red! Gee, maybe I’ve been fooled all these years..
Mom

Peter April 30, 2012 at 09:43

Love those swimsuits. Do they still make Lastex Shantung? LOL

Beth April 30, 2012 at 09:56

Love the organdy dresses. And that the swimsuits actually cover everything.

oonaballoona April 30, 2012 at 10:30

i adore 50s swimsuits, and want one so badly… the price tag, the absence of my overlocker, and ruggy’s disdain for them (he likes a french cut) are teaming up to keep me pinup-less.

Stephanie/SwoodsonVintage April 30, 2012 at 11:12

I love those bathing suits! I’d love to see some modern retro-inspired swimsuit patterns, but then I’d have to try sewing slippery swimsuit fabric. eep!

Lauren April 30, 2012 at 11:14

Love the organdy dresses and swimsuits! Oh and the yellow play suit- Darling!
I’m really into gingham for the Summer…I think I need to make a gingham dress:-)

Solveig April 30, 2012 at 12:25

I love the yellow two piece! I hope to get my hands on a couple of repro 50s swimsuits this season.
The organdy dress to the right – Love!

Eileen April 30, 2012 at 16:42

If big hips were in, then I’m in the wrong decade! ;) I adore the monochromatic purple dress in the first scan with the dash of bright green. What a neat idea . . .

I also say we start a petition for Keds to bring back some of those wonderful Kedettes shoes! Thanks for the inspiration!

Bethany April 30, 2012 at 18:37

I want a bathing suit like these!

StephC April 30, 2012 at 18:44

I love the print on the other organdy dress. It’s so pretty!

And how cool is it that so many companies are making 50′s styled swimsuits? I love it.

Cassie Stephens April 30, 2012 at 20:12

LOOOOVE the scans, thank you! Who needs pinterest when we’ve got you? My fave is the green dress with the bold red stripes. I love it. I’ve been feeling a pinch uninspired lately in my summerly clothes…less clothing like tights and sweaters means less colors and choices to play with. But this inspires me, so thank you!

Jessica May 1, 2012 at 01:15

Such delightfully fun, stylish, totally wearable 1950s summer looks. I’m looking forward to this summer more than any other for the past several years, as I’m finally back in my home town in B.C., which has infinitely better summer weather than what we’d been experiencing back east. Can’t wait to feel the soothing, buttery sunshine again – and turn to images like this for wardrobe inspiration.

alli May 1, 2012 at 04:18

The girl in the red dress reminded me of you! Looks similar :)
I love all all of them, but the swimsuits are so cute :)

Charlotte May 1, 2012 at 06:11

Ooh the stuff of dreams! Love those espadrilles, and of course the 50s swimwear. Sadly we’re in the midst of a British monsoon season so I’m nowhere close to thinking about such lovelies – boo :(

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha’penny Vintage

Helen's Sewing Adventures May 1, 2012 at 06:27

Wow I love those bathing suits – they’re gorgeous. Now to see if I can fine a pattern / RTW for something like that…

ConstantlyAlice May 1, 2012 at 10:20

Those espadrilles are SOOO cute. Perfect warm weather shoes :)

Andrea D. May 1, 2012 at 10:34

Those colors are so summery! And I could absolutely see some of those styles still being worn today. This spring/summer, I’m excited to wear all the bold colors, pastels and try out some peplum :)

Andrea
Left brain, right brain, pug brain.

Tasha May 1, 2012 at 15:01

Ooh I could definitely use some warm-weather inspirations right now! It’s been drizzly and chilly lately here!

I particularly love how the woman on the left of the Dan River ad, in the snappy horizontal striped dress, matches the stripes in the palm tree. lol!

I so want those Kedettes espadrilles, yes please! :)

Summer May 1, 2012 at 15:22

Best’s! I remember those stores growing up in Seattle :) Cute dresses.