weekly inspiration

02.19.12 | weekly inspiration

weekly visual moodboard be sure to click on the image to view image sources.

Wow–thank you all so much for all the quilting suggestions in Friday’s post! I’m going to have to go over and read everything more carefully, as well as all the links/tutorials you suggested, and try and figure out which direction I want to take this quilt. So many great ideas–now just to put them into action! (Which will probably take me a bit–so don’t hold your breath! lol.)

• Love these hats Lauren shared from Fall-Winter 1939/40!
  • I learned quite a few things from this post of tips on taking great outfit photos.
  • Sunni shared some great tips on reducing bulky seams when sewing with thick fabrics
  • This oil cleansing trend has got my interest–anyone using it?
  • Tips on how to spot vintage garments “out in the wild”…
  • Love Amy’s simple, yet glamorous, solution for jazzing up a sweater!
  • Solanah found some great tutorials for creating vintage hairstyles if you have very curly hair.

Until tomorrow!

February 19, 2012 · 22 lovely thoughts
posted in links · tags:

Charlotte February 19, 2012 at 08:18

Yay for quilting, and yay that you featured me in your moodboard :)

My sister uses that oil cleansing method, it seems pretty effective. She might comment below if she sees this post!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha’penny Vintage

Jill February 19, 2012 at 08:53

Ahhh, so much loveliness in that style board! Great links, too. Thanks!

Mrs. Williams February 19, 2012 at 09:48

I love your moodboards! They always cheer me up.
I used the oil cleansing method a few years ago for my acne. It seemed to help a little, but the trick is to get oil that is really close to your skin’s natural oil (such as jojoba). It was pretty relaxing, too; I don’t think I would clean with it every night, but maybe every other night.

Andrea Lynne Rose February 19, 2012 at 09:53

I love that how to sport vintage styles in “the wild.” Clever name for it too :)

SwoodsonVintage February 19, 2012 at 10:52

I tried the oil cleansing method and my skin did not like it. I played with oil concentrations, etc. but it gave me a strange rash all over my forehead :(

Joen February 19, 2012 at 10:55

Thanks for all your inspirations great as usual. My daughter is currently going to school for skin care and has been teaching me about using natural products and oils for cleansing. I was her ginnypig (whoops) model for her facial practice and she did apply an oil and massaged my face during the facial which felt wonderful! So I do encourage everyone to give it a try.

Sallie February 19, 2012 at 11:12

great links as always!

I use the oil cleansing method. I used to use Cetaphil (sometimes still do in the morning). I like using the oil – it gets rid of makeup great. I use one part castor (cleansing) to one part jojoba (moisturizing) but it took me a while to get the ratio right. Too much castor oil and my skin would get really dry and irritated and would break out. I also add a few drops of lavender essential oil. I learned a lot about my oils from Crunchy Betty’s blog:

Rachel February 19, 2012 at 11:41

I used the oil cleansing method for a while, but it was SOOO time consuming and it didn’t really clear up my skin any better than my favourite Aveeno.

Valerie February 19, 2012 at 12:01

Beautiful moodboard as usual!

I use the oil-cleansing method and like it much better than other cleansing methods I’ve tried. I just use jojoba oil, first to remove my eye makeup and then all over my face to remove any face makeup I’ve happened to apply that day. After massaging it in I hold a warm, wet cotton flannel cloth to my face for a few seconds and then wipe it clean. I’ll usually repeat the last step once more to make sure I’ve removed all traces of makeup. Then I’ll massage more jojoba oil into my face as a moisturizer. Anyway, I have quite dry skin and found that other cleansers (even mild ones like Cetaphil) were much too drying. After oil-cleansing, my face looks and feels fresh but not parched.

Katie February 19, 2012 at 13:06

I’ve used the oil cleansing method for almost a year now, and I love it. I was just about to write a blog post about it for this week, so it’s funny you mention it! I, too, use jojoba and castor oil – 3 parts jojoba to 1 part castor. It’s perfect for removing make up and doesn’t give my skin that tight, dry feeling. One note – if you’re going to try it, it’s important to give your skin a week or so to detox and not use any other soaps. I would also use a natural oil-based moisturizer, such as more jojoba oil. I find that a bit much, and use Bariani Face and Body Cream (http://www.barianioliveoil.com/products.php). It’s nice and light and only made of olive oil & beeswax.

If you want to try oil cleansing, but don’t want to mix your own oil, my friend Louise just started an etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/brandyloubc . She’s the one who turned me on to OCM, so her stuff is pretty great! Good luck!

Ruth February 19, 2012 at 15:29

I used to use the oil cleansing method (with jojoba), but as I don’t wear makeup or sunscreen and only moisturise with plant oils and butters I found it to be completely unnecessary, honestly. I wash with water, when I shower, and use an exfoliating mitt (a gentle one for the face, coarser for the body) to.. well.. exfoliate. Then I moisturise. Done.
I used to use jojoba for moisturising, but have had very dry skin since I’ve been pregnant, so have switched to an unscented pure shea butter, which is magic.
I wish I’d known about the OCM/soap-avoidance when I was a teenager and had horrible horrible acne: that + avoiding dairy has fixed most of my skin problems. Oh well — live and learn, right?
On the rare occasions that I wear makeup I use Vaseline to take it off — tried more natural OCM alternatives but found the Vaseline worked better, like an old-school cold cream.

I found out only fairly recently that for reasons of his own my brother (who’s very blokey and does quite physical work) hasn’t used soap (other than shampoo) for years, either (he does use an unscented deodorant, as do I) — and his girlfriend (who’s really *not* the ‘natural’ type) finds it really bizarre that he not only has not got BO as a result, he has *less* body scent than when he used soap. She says he never really smells like anything much, other than a bit salty if he’s freshly sweaty. She’s baffled by it, but not complaining ;-)

The avoidance of soap improving people’s skin and reducing body odour is speculated to have something to do with bacterial balances, I think? Soap kills off everything, good and bad, and we don’t have probiotics for our outsides yet like we do for our insides…

Novita February 19, 2012 at 19:53

So much loveliness! I especially love the beautiful lace dress on the upper right corner!
I love oil cleansing method. I’ve used EVOO, coconut oil, almond oil, too much EVOO makes my skin break out and coconut oil is rather drying for me. But lately I got the best result from refined sesame oil. Every night I apply it on my face to remove makeup and massage it around, then I hold a warm, wet towel against my face for a few seconds before wiping it clean. I also use it as moisturizer, body lotion , and on my hair!

Kailey February 19, 2012 at 21:26

The way you lay out your weekly inspiration posts is so beautiful! *__*

Adara February 20, 2012 at 02:08

My friend is using the oil cleansing method and has had horrible scarring acne. She found the right ratio for her and her skin has cleared right up. She does still get the occasional acne, but the horrible-all-over kind is gone.

Sara February 20, 2012 at 03:59

I’ve been moisturizing with nothing but jojoba oil for probably the last 3 years. I don’t necessarily use it as a cleansing method as I still use soap (albeit a very natural, coconut-based liquid soap), but I use the oil as a moisturizer morning and night and I love it. My skin has never been so clear or smooth and overall happy. I’ve just started mixing some other oils into my blend (evening primrose, carrot tissue, kukui nut, and rosehip) and I always add a bit of rose absolute essential oil to the mix for scent. I’m finding that the new blend is really reducing under eye darkness without throwing anything else off balance, so overall I have nothing but good things to say about switching to oil. It seemed strange at first, but after reading this book:http://thegreenbeautyguide.com/green-beauty-guide/ I really wanted to get to something more natural.

If you’re looking for a source for oils then I really recommend this place: http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/ . I’ve been getting all of my natural supplies from them for a few years now and he quality and the prices are great – especially on essential oils.

Popbabe7 February 20, 2012 at 04:11

I used a sample of DHC Olive oil and I’m hooked now so would definitely recommend it!!!

Melissa February 20, 2012 at 08:47

Love the oil cleansing method! When I turned 25, my skin started going bonkers with breakouts and deep, painful cysts that sometimes last for months. I tried EV.ERY.THING. but nothing helped because the cause was hormonal, and the cleansers just irritated my skin more. Now I only use a mixture of 75% castor oil and 25% olive oil every other day with steam, and I hardly have any regular pimples, just dealing with the cysts. I think DHC has already been mentioned, it’s fantastic if you can afford it.

Velma February 20, 2012 at 10:35

I use OCM. My mixture is about 75% raw coconut oil and 25% virgin castor oil, with a few drops of essential lavender oil added for the scent and its skin-calming properties. I warm the coconut oil slightly, mix the oils, and pour it into a 4 oz. container. It forms a nice solid cream at room temp.

Works well for me–like a home facial! I use OCM every other day, evenings only, and splash with cool water in the morning. (I find the steaming and oil removal a bit harsh for daily use.) On the “off” days, I use Burt’s Bees royal jelly cleanser and a few drops of the oil mixture as a moisturizer.

Lauren February 20, 2012 at 10:50

I started the oil cleansing method a few days ago, so I’m not exactly at the point where I can make an educated recommendation, but my skin really seems to be loving it! I have dry dry dry skin – the kind that no moisturizer can help. It gets soo tight & flaky in the winter, especially since both my home & office are heated with gas heat :( I’ve been using olive oil as a moisturizer for about a year now – and it’s awesome, but I still needed to reapply occasionally (with regular moisturizer – even the expensive, heavy-duty stuff like La Mer – I had to reapply much more frequently!). Since switching to oil cleansing, my skin feels basically perfect. And I was surprised at how easily it removed all the eye makeup that I wear :)

I use about 1/5 castor oil to 4/5 olive oil… I have it premixed in a bottle (mostly because the castor oil says in giant letters across the front that IT IS A LAXATIVE lol I don’t want that hanging out on my bathroom sink!). I added a few drops of lavender essential oil as well, so it smells delicious too! I oil both morning & night, but when the weather calms down a little I am going to try to just oil cleanse in the evening for make up removal, and water in the AM. We’ll see!

Carlie February 20, 2012 at 20:11

I loooove your blog, and I loooove the oil cleansing method!

I’ve used all kinds of oils. My fave so far is a blend of almond, jojoba and castor oils. While I love cleansing with those, my skin can be dry if I rinse too much, and my bangs can get oily if I don’t rinse enough. So, I rinse completely and use apricot oil to moisturize. Apricot kernel oil absorbs really well!

Bobby February 22, 2012 at 05:26

That oil cleansing method is interesting. I have problems with spots on my cheeks and occasionally around my mouth…will see how some EVOO from the kitchen works for me!

Amie April 30, 2012 at 08:57

I have been using the oil cleansing method for a couple months now. My skin is mostly cleared up, and it looks so much healthier. It has definitely helped to balance my skin’s moisture. I still breakout a little. But that’s food and stress related. I love how it’s the simplest means that make the best result in terms of a beauty regime.