weekly inspiration

01.21.12 | weekly inspiration

weekly visual moodboard be sure to click on the image to view image sources.

Hello! How has your weekend been? Doing anything creative or just enjoying a quiet couple of days to catch up on things? It’s been relatively calm and a bit lazy at times for me… Some knitting has been done, finishing up a book on the history of eating in America (Revolution at the Table: The Transformation of the American Diet by Harvey Levenstein for those interested), and lots of good conversations with the people around me. Just how a chilly January weekend should be…

• I love this gigantic collection of photos from the LIFE archives of 1940s showgirls in Florida that Johanna unearthed.
  • Gertie showed some great photos of a Peggy Hunt dress sporting an illusion neckline.
  • Hmm… floral applique would look very at-home on a 1/2 circle skirt, don’t you think?
  • Lauren mused on the necessity of handcrafts.
  • Anna shared some fun scans from a 1939 Dubarry Prevue booklet.
  • This Maple Roasted Sweet Potato and Parsnips recipe looks so tasty!
  • I wish my hair were long enough to do this French Braid Crown hairstyle–so pretty!

Be back tomorrow with a peek at a new sewing project!

January 22, 2012 · 8 lovely thoughts
posted in links · tags:

Kath January 22, 2012 at 08:32

Hi,
I just wanted to thank you for the Swing Dress Sew Along. I bought the pattern last week, thought I would search for some general tutorials and was so pleased to find your very useful sew along. This is my first dress making project and it seems I chose the right pattern to get me going. Thanks again. I will let you know how I get on, but it might take me some time….

Jane @ Vintage Homemaking January 22, 2012 at 09:30

That pink radio is adorable!

Ginny January 22, 2012 at 10:13

I thought the same thing about those floral print appliques- it’s on my ideas list for my Spring sewing. This weekend I have been mostly spending far too much time on Pinterest, interspersed with buying new patterns and working on my latest knit. A productive weekend in terms of planning, even if little visible progress has been made!

Amanda January 22, 2012 at 16:07

Could that chicken be any cuter? Ummm…. no!

Bri January 22, 2012 at 22:46

The crown braid is amazing and sadly my hair is not long enough either!

Deane07 January 23, 2012 at 03:43

I love the every image catch on different phases, Great concept.

Ryan January 23, 2012 at 16:19

I braid my hair like that a lot. It’s great for days that are toward the end of the week (I only wash my hair once a week). My hair is really long right now, but it would still work if it were shorter. I only add hair to the braid from one side (the outside – closer to the nape not the crown if that makes sense) and sometimes the braid is higher on the back of my head which I think takes “less” hair.

it definitely took practice and sometimes my hands still forget what they’re doing but I get compliments or over hear people talking about my hair every time.