two-seam top

01.30.12 | two-seam top
01.30.12 | two-seam top

Remember that 50s Simplicity pattern I posted recently? Well, curiosity got the better of me, and I just had to try it. Don’t mind the fact that it’s really too chilly for a short sleeve top (that’s what sweaters are for, anyway)–the simpliness of the top appealed to me. Would it look a flattering as the envelope illustration?

The pattern piece is just a large rectangle. For a size small you only need 5/8 yard of material, for a medium-large 3/4. The pattern calls for a jersey material, so I opted for a beautiful pink, wool-blend jersey I picked up on a recent fabric shopping trip. I love the drape, although 100% wool jersey is still far superior–though a bit too expensive for my pocket book at the moment!

01.30.12 | two-seam top

The only seams on the top make up a T shape along the back. The two short ends of the rectangle are sewn together to about halfway to allow for the waist-split, and the one of the long edges is sewn together, leaving an opening at either fold for the arms to pass through. Super easy! The edges are turned under and hemmed with catchstitches and a hook and eye sewn at the waist. I serged all the raw edges just to keep things neat as well. The top took me less than an evening to complete from start to finish.

01.30.12 | two-seam top
01.30.12 | two-seam top

Putting the top on and arranging all the fullness that falls around the neckline is a bit tricky, which is why this top won’t go on my list of “favorite blouses I wear all the time”. Because it is a bit fiddly to wear. I could tack down the folds permanently with stitches, but too be honest, I’m on to other projects right now and just don’t feel like dealing with it. lol. It’s a sweet top, but will probably be relegated to occasions that I’m not engaged in a lot of movement (on most days I sprawl and flail about a lot)–so things like dinner out.

01.30.12 | two-seam top
01.30.12 | two-seam top

Also wearing: thrifted skirt and brooch | MAC Viva Glam I lipstick

On a humorous note, I only realized after taking these photos that I resemble a giant pink Valentine! It’s still a little too early for that… lol. (More photos here.)

Pattern: Simplicity #4538 (1950s vintage). I made the original size to fit a 30″ to 32″ bust.

Fabric: Wool jersey blend.

Alterations: None.

Techniques: Catchstitching and serging the edges (if that can be called a “technique”).

Make Again? Perhaps. Although I’d be curious to see this in a tshirt jersey, I’m not rushing out to make it right away. Maybe later in the year!

January 30, 2012 · 101 lovely thoughts
posted in sewing · tags: , , ,

LadyD January 30, 2012 at 06:51

I think that would make a great ‘tutorial’ top for beginners.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:27

hehe! It would… if I could ever figure out the proportions for differing sizes. Blythe posted a link below to a similar pattern

Amanda January 30, 2012 at 06:57

I like this! I’ve never worked with jersey before and am thinking this might be a nice and simple way in…. Awesome work, Ms Valentine!

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:27

Something simple like this with just a few seams is a great way to jump into working with jersey! :) Especially if you work with a more stable knit (like the wool jersey I used–it’s not quite as stretchy as a lot of lighter, synthetic knits).

kristine hudson January 30, 2012 at 06:58

Very flattering on you! Thanks for the pattern info. Id love to try it. I really like the
Retro capelet look of the back seams too.:)

Bea W. January 30, 2012 at 07:08

What an easy peasy top. Thanks for sharing it. It looks great considering how little work is involved. And you look as cute as always Casey.

Kerry from His Girl Friday January 30, 2012 at 07:13

This top really intrigued me when you first posted the pattern, so I am glad you gave in to curiosity! If I were to make it I think I would want to add in something a bit more substantial to hold it together at the front. Did you feel that it was secure or do you think it could come open with a bit of movement?

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:29

That was my one worry–about keeping it closed! But I thought between the hook and eye, and the brooch I used, it was sufficient. Though without the brooch, I probably would have safety-pinned it together at the top, just to keep from having a wardrobe malfunction. ;)

Goodbye Valentino January 30, 2012 at 07:17

Great top, skirt and pictures! You wear it well :)

Tilia January 30, 2012 at 07:25

Very nice! Does it give full mobility for the arms? By the looks of it it seems holding your arms forward would be difficult.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:30

Not really, which is why I said in the post that I wasn’t sure I’d wear it often for “day to day” wear–more for events where I wouldn’t need to move around a ton. I think with a bit more stretch to the fabric (wool jersey tends to be a bit more stable of all the knits out there), it would be easier too…

Annabelle January 30, 2012 at 07:31

Casey, this is a really fun top! And it does look like the pattern cover, it’s always nice when that happens, isn’t it? I would have never thought that you looked like a giant Valentine, I was too busy thinking that your skirt is gorgeous. I thought it might be the one you had thrifted earlier :)

Anne Adams Slip.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:31

hehe! Thank you for your sweet words about the outfit! ;) Yep–it’s the thrifted skirt and I’m completely head over heels in love with it at the moment! I seem to be wearing it at least a couple times a week…

Maja January 30, 2012 at 07:35

it looks great! would it be possible to get the measurement for the to (Please!)?

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:31

I would love to, but I don’t want to get in trouble with the copyright issue regarding the pattern.

Nathalie January 30, 2012 at 07:42

On you that top looks great though, lol! And I thought all the pink looked cute, but I love the color pink. . .

Tifa January 30, 2012 at 07:54

Love this! How pretty!

Aleksandra January 30, 2012 at 07:55

I love the outfit!

Marie January 30, 2012 at 08:01

I actually really love this top Casey, it’s so sweet! Gorgeous skirt you have there too!

Charlotte January 30, 2012 at 08:14

It’s certainly an interesting concept! I’m glad you made it as I was really curious what it would look like in real life. It does look good!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha’penny

Ginny January 30, 2012 at 08:38

For such a simple design I think it looks really good! I’m very tempted to have a play with some jersey and see what I can come up with myself.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:32

I’m sure it would be a super simple design to replicate! ;)

Eli January 30, 2012 at 09:14

I love this top! so elegant but simple at the same time :)

Miss Amethyst January 30, 2012 at 09:17

OMG!!! your going to be my ‘go to’ blog bc i havent made any clothes a day in my life… well… i sewn pants before….. but i need to sew!!! soo cute!!! love it!!!!

Gina January 30, 2012 at 09:33

It’s beautiful! I saw this pattern on ebay or one like it and thought about it. I, too don’t like to fiddle with my clothing. The sleeves are interesting. I have been looking for a good blouse pattern that allows for movement in the arms. Most times I feel like I need more mobility too. I am sure there are tricks to making sleeves and armholes more comfortable that don’t include gussets, but I haven’t found them. Let us know if you find a great blouse pattern. As always Casey just lovely!

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:34

I will be sure to! ;) The only blouses I have ever found that have allowed for freer movement of the arms is styles along the lines of the Sencha blouse from Colette Patterns–the extended sleeve/kimono sleeve. Most of the set-in sleeve blouses just tend to be a bit too tight went it comes to waving one’s arms wildly about. ;)

Blythe January 30, 2012 at 09:37

I’m so jealous! I’ve been wanting to make a top like this for ages, and yours looks beautiful and so flattering! I wish the pattern was easier to find.

Blythe January 30, 2012 at 09:44

Oooo … after a bit of googling, I came across this pattern:

It’s not exactly the same, but it is from the same period, and is similar in spirit, in that it also looks flattering and simple to make. The other patterns they are selling look awesome too! I am dying to make the circle bolero. Has anyone used these patterns before?

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:34

Thanks so much for posting about this! I hadn’t seen those patterns before, but am intrigued… ;)

SwoodsonVintage February 3, 2012 at 00:31

I love that it is called Magic Blouse.. this looks exactly like something I’d get tangled in with my arms stuck above my head :) Very cool source!

Laura January 30, 2012 at 09:52

What an interesting design, the top looks amazing!

brittan January 30, 2012 at 10:05

THIS IS AMAZING!!!! I cant wait to try this!! xo

andrea lynne rose January 30, 2012 at 10:15
Lauren January 30, 2012 at 10:40

Very interesting! To be honest, I didn’t like the pattern illustration at all – it kind of reminded me of the infamous Walkaway dress. I do like the “real-life” version, though. It’s actually REALLY flattering on you, although I can see how it would be fiddly to wear (bummer!). And I love looking like a giant Valentine, so no complaints here :)

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:36

Ah… the Walkaway dress! lol. (I think I must be the only seamstress who is into vintage that doesn’t own the reissue or one of the originals. But that’s totally off-topic! ;) Yeah, I was a bit worried myself when I was sewing this up that it’d end up as one of those that is good in theory, but not in actuality. I’m glad it turned out wearable though! ;)

Jane @ Vintage Homemaking January 30, 2012 at 10:44

That is so neat! I think I make things too complex sometimes and then I burn myself out. It goes very well with the skirt too I love it!

I like the litho in the background, I’ve noticed it in several of your posts recently, it adds a nice splash of color to the photos.

I noticed that a week or so ago you started following my vintage fashion pinboard on pinterest and I wanted to let you know that I had too many pins in that folder for easy viewing so I had to split it up into several boards arranged by decade groupings. I just thought you might want to adjust your “follow” to be for the decades that you are interested in as I think the original folder became 1850-1870.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:36

Thanks for the heads-up about your Pinterest! ;)

Renee January 30, 2012 at 10:52

That is such a cute top. Wouldn’t it be nice if they would come out with that pattern again?

I think you look cute and not like a Valentine.

Livy Darling January 30, 2012 at 10:59

I was hoping you’d show this pattern. Looks wonderful!

K-Line January 30, 2012 at 11:10

I absolutely love it. I searched high and low for this online – I want to make it so badly! (I’d need the 34 inch bust size – but I couldn’t find it in any size.) I think it looks so elegant on you and its simplicity is utterly appealing.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:37

I dare say it wouldn’t be too hard to duplicate with some fiddling around with jersey. ;)

K-Line January 31, 2012 at 19:16

I thought of it, and then I looked up the pattern Blythe mentioned. It’s very cool. I bought the pattern – a pdf of instructions rather than pattern pieces you tape together – and I’m very excited to give it a go…

Kendra January 30, 2012 at 11:30

Its a very lovely top. I really think I need to find that pattern, or play around with some fabric.

Its also almost Feb, I think its not early for Valentines day. There’s only 15 or so days.

Lauren January 30, 2012 at 11:35

Adorable!!

Jesslyn January 30, 2012 at 11:41

WOW!! Very unique and that neckline is so lovely!

Clio January 30, 2012 at 11:46

Who knew two seams could look so good! What a lovely top.

fangaroni January 30, 2012 at 11:50

Super cute Casey! I love the outfit combo as well

Lauren January 30, 2012 at 11:59

It’s a very elegant look for an everyday outfit! And I really like the two pinks together – so feminine! I really enjoy when you post pics of items you have made – it inspires me to learn more about sewing!

Holly S. January 30, 2012 at 12:14

Love this top, and love your color scheme ;)

Lizz January 30, 2012 at 13:21

So awesome! It looks amazing on and I love how it’s constructed.

Paige January 30, 2012 at 13:24

It’s lovely! I’m glad you included the picture of how to put it on, because I sat there for a while staring at the shirt laying flat, wondering how exactly that would work. Ha ha.

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:38

I know–it’s a bit of a head-scratcher without the illustration, isn’t it? Even with it, it took me a bit to get things situated right the first time I tried on the completed blouse. lol!

Stephanie January 30, 2012 at 14:44

that top is darling! how fun!

Kat January 30, 2012 at 15:13

I love the look of the back.

Trish Blair January 30, 2012 at 15:23

I too was intrigued by this top. I think it looks amazing front and back and I have to give it a go. Agree – it is the perfect piece for a beginner. Let’s dig up the past! There is great stuff there!

SwoodsonVintage January 30, 2012 at 15:53

This is SO pretty! I would’ve never guessed it was that simple!

khristieB January 30, 2012 at 16:06

Stunning, you should make a effort to wear it, it’s fabulous.

Crystal January 30, 2012 at 16:18

I really love it. Such an interesting top for such a simple pattern piece.

Jen January 30, 2012 at 16:23

This is such a sweet little blouse Casey. I have some t-shirt fabric that needs using up so maybe I’ll give it a go :)

Laura Mae January 30, 2012 at 17:00

I LOVE the color combination! Too bad the blouse isn’t easier to wear because it looks super cute on you. But I do know how irritating it can be to have to fiddle with something all day long!

Miss Katie January 30, 2012 at 17:31

I love it! it’s such an unusual pattern and the colours are gorgeous :)

mala_14 January 30, 2012 at 18:00

Very cute! And the pattern is so clever.

Amelia January 30, 2012 at 18:03

What a stunning blouse! It looks killer and the drape is really nice.

Cassie Stephens January 30, 2012 at 18:28

Casey! I love this…this outfit and the one you posted last week of the turquoise skirt and the black and white top is my absolute fave. I love the bold colors. You look adorable as always. Thanks for the inspiration!

Casey January 30, 2012 at 19:40

Thank you, lady! :) I have definitely been trying to dig out some of my brighter colors from the closet, after wearing a lot of black for the past couple months (in the middle of moving, black is just easier! ;) ). Plus it brings a bit of cheer to the duller wintertime light. ;)

Sarah January 30, 2012 at 18:38