autumn collars

12.07.11 | autumn collars

I started this tutorial back in late September, right before things got really crazy with The Move, and never got sufficient “finished project shots”. Now that I’ve finally gotten that taken care of, I can share it with y’all! I think this is a great way to update a the neckline of various garments any time of year, but always seems especially fun to do during the winter. (Especially if you’re partial to plaids and lush velveteens–these work especially well!)

This little project is a quick (it took me about 1/2 hour) and easy accessory you can make, based on the fur collar pattern I shared last year. Instead of fur though, this time it’s fabric, which requires a couple of different techniques for construction (hence a whole new tutorial!). These collars would look darling over a cardigan, light jacket—or even a tshirt! Best of all, they’re totally detached, so no worries about having to sew hooks and eyes on things. Wear them just like a necklace! I also made a linen version (with the embroidered C), so it’ll work for those of you in the opposite seasons right now too.

Supplies

• 1/3 yard (or scraps!) fashion fabric (anything in the medium weight range)
  • interfacing suitable to your fabric (I used a fusible on one and sew-in on the other)
  • buttons, ribbons, lace, embroidery floss, etc.—to decorate or act as closures on your collar
  • thread, scissors, sewing machine (you can hand sew this too), iron, etc.

Begin by printing off the collar pattern found here. (Instructions on assembling a print-at-home pattern here.) Cut out the size closest to your neck (or garment) measurement as indicated on the size chart.

Cut the following with the collar pattern: two fashion fabric, on interfacing. If your fabric and interfacing are a bit bulky, trim away the seam allowance on the interfacing.

On one of the fashion fabric collar pieces, fold in half. Carefully trim 1/8” from the inside neckline edge, starting at the center back and tapering to nothing about 1 1/2” from the front edge. Mark this as the under collar piece.

Attach the interfacing to the upper collar (the one not trimmed) wrong side, following the manufacturer’s directions for fusible. For sew-in interfacing, baste to the edges within the seam allowance.

Right sides of the upper and under collar together, pin along the outer edge of the collar, from front edge to front edge. If you’re attaching cords or ribbon to tie the collar on, baste those prior to pinning on the upper collar. Sew, using a 1/2 seam allowance, the outer edges of the collar together.

Right sides still facing, pin the inner neckline edges together, leaving a 2 1/2” gap at the center back for turning. The collar will ripple a bit since we trimmed away fabric from the under collar. Sew with a 1/2” seam allowance, making sure to leave the 2 1/2” opening free of stitching.

Notch the extreme curves on the collar edges, and clip all other curves. Trim seam allowances to 1/4”. Press collar.

Turn right side out and work the seams flat. Press. The under collar will naturally roll to the back of the upper collar (because of the 1/8” we trimmed—magic, isn’t it?). Give the whole collar a good press once the edges and curves are neat.

Turn the seam allowances left open to the inside. Pin and slip stitch the opening closed by hand.

12.07.11 | autumn collars

Now you can attach the method of closure (if you didn’t opt for a cord/ribbon tie). For the white collar I used a hand worked crochet thread loop and vintage button. You could also use a tiny piece of elastic cord and button, a brooch, hook and eye or even a cord frog!

12.07.11 | autumn collars

12.07.11 | autumn collars

Of course this collar is just screaming for other embellishment too. I stuck to pretty simple things (a vintage brooch), but here are a few ideas:

• Attach ruffled lace to the edges during construction. Alternatively, you could add a contrasting piping to the outer edge as well.
  • Lay some pretty lace over the upper collar prior to sew the collar pieces together, and baste around the edges. You’ll have a delicate lace over your fashion fabric.
  • Embroider fanciful motifs or initials on the collar (I used a 40s transfer pattern, but there are plenty here).
  • Sew just the inner collar edges right sides together, and us bias binding to finish the outer edges.
  • Work even running stitches around the outer edge with embroidery floss for a chunk top stitching look.
  • Add beads or sequins for some sparkle!

As usual, I’d be more than delighted if you give this tutorial a whirl and want to show off your version! Feel free to either send me an email or post a link to your version on the Elegant Musings Facebook.

December 7, 2011 · 46 lovely thoughts
posted in tutorials · tags: , ,

Lynette Danburry December 7, 2011 at 16:11

Your embroidery looks so lovely.

Miss Crayola Creepy December 7, 2011 at 16:11

ADORABLE!! I can’t wait to make this once the craziness from the holiday settles down. This is going on my “to do” list for 2012! :)

Faith December 7, 2011 at 16:33

These are lovely! I made a bunch of collars earlier in autumn and still have a few to finish (I was beading all mine so it was taking an absurd amount of time!) so this should spur me on a little! I never thought of adding embroidery though, hmmm. That gives me all kinds of ideas!

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:49

I have been itching to add some beading to a collar (especially after Megan posted her tutorial)! I just need to decide on whether to bead a plain collar or follow a design on a print… Decisions!

Stephanie December 7, 2011 at 16:59

I so want to make some of these! :)

Tasha December 7, 2011 at 17:13

This is such a great tutorial! These collars are so cute. I love the embroidered one and ooooh, plaid! That’s a really fun idea. I’ve been wanting to try out one of these for ages. :)

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:50

I recently refound a scrap of red plaid too, which now must become another collar soon! ;) lol.

Jayne December 7, 2011 at 17:57

What a gorgeous collar design! Thanks for the tute. Collars always seem to make shirts look so much smarter :)

Jane December 7, 2011 at 18:06

Absolutely gorgeous collars Casey. and a fab tutorial, thank you One will be top of my to-sew list for 2012. x

Popbabe7 December 7, 2011 at 18:54

Wow it looks great- and so simple! Will definitely try this, x

Irene December 7, 2011 at 21:03

Wow, Casey! I am in awe of your amazingly neat embroidery! Your monogram is beautiful! Hope I can learn to make such lovely stitches some time!

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:50

Thank you, dear! :) I admit I had to rip part of it out at one point… my embroidery skills are still in the learning stages! ;)

Alli December 7, 2011 at 21:48

So pretty….I love them.
You have to post up a pic of you wearing them. I’d love to see what they look like on :)

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:52

I’m planning on getting one up soon! Although you can see a sneak peek of the white collar in this post. ;)

LauraD December 7, 2011 at 22:53

How about doing piping along the collar, then making some bias binding and doing some faggoting like this. Yeah, this particular one is for a child’s dress, but it wouldn’t be too hard to do a similar treatment for a fancy detachable collar!

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:53

Love those ideas, Laura! I think that would be especially sweet for a springtime collar… ;)

Sarah December 8, 2011 at 00:45

beautiful! I love these collars. I jsut wish I had a it more skill to be able to pull them off, but I shall try! xox

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:53

It’s so simple and easy–I think you’ll do beautifully!!! :)

Anna | Mormor hade stil December 8, 2011 at 03:05

They’re both beautiful, I have to give this a go next year!

miss Lindy Lee December 8, 2011 at 04:29

That is so pretty! I accually have the pattern hanging on the wall in front of my desk and sewing machine, some day I will make me a collar! I´ve missed you Casey, glad you´re “back

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:54

Thanks for the welcome back, dear! :)

Kerry December 8, 2011 at 06:34

Thanks for this, so lovely and I really would like to give it a whirl, maybe after Christmas crafting is done. Would be a great way to brighten up plain tops.

Amanda December 8, 2011 at 07:23

Hi Casey! These collars are so charming! The little plaid one is especially cute.. I think I’ll have to try one of these for the holiday season. Quick and simple projects like these are so satisfying. ;)

I was wondering – can we get a closer look at the tag you have sewed on the inside of the plaid collar? Are you able to give us more info on where you made those? I’ve been interested in printing off some tags to sew in my handmade garments, but haven’t found any I truly love to date.

Thanks Casey! :)

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:55

I wish I could give more information about the tags, but I bought them about 5 years ago on Etsy, and the seller is no longer listed. :( I know there are loads of shops that offer them, though! I just designed this one and had it printed (not embroidered) so I could personalize the things I made with a tag of my own. ;)

erin December 8, 2011 at 08:10

Lovely, lovely collars!

Olivia December 8, 2011 at 08:58

YEAH! A tutorial! I will have to make one today :)

Joen December 8, 2011 at 10:25

Thank you for the collar post, I went back and re-read the fur color tutorial. I recently was in NYC and purchased some fabulous faux fur in Mood and have been researching sewing tips I am going to make a fur vest but I believe I will have enough to do a collar also!

Casey December 8, 2011 at 10:55

So envious that you picked up some fur at Mood! I’m kicking myself for not getting a small piece of faux fur when I was there in September–they have such a great selection!

Natalie Brooke December 8, 2011 at 11:09

Oh my!! These are beautiful – I will have to try them when I get my machine up and running! Thanks. :D Ps: You were just added to my WLFD (We Love Fashion Design) Directory – love your blog!! http://nataliebrookedesigns.wordpress.com/art-blogs/ xxo

ConstantlyAlice December 8, 2011 at 11:51

The plaid one is so sweet! I actually have a huge stash of vintage collars that I love to add to my outfits, but for some reason I never considered adding a ribbon or a tie as a closure (duh!) Such a cute idea!

Victoria / Justice Pirate December 8, 2011 at 14:40

goodness I adore the plaid one!!! These are so lovely! Nice job with the embroidery AGAIN!

Jo December 8, 2011 at 15:44

This is such a gorgeous idea! I love the idea of a monogrammed collar. It might be time for my own DIY!

x
Lost in the Haze

zilredloh December 8, 2011 at 17:53

Welcome back Casey! We missed you! :)

What a darling collar. I don’t know why but I never thought of altering your fur collar to a simple peter-pan with fabric. I love all of the styling possibilities this presents.
Thanks for sharing.

Freddie December 9, 2011 at 05:57

Lovely tutorial. Just trying to think of which of my dresses etc. I could wear this with. Also I’m looking forward to seeing the finished Burda video thingy (saw the link on Facebook, very exciting!) :)

Kimberly December 9, 2011 at 08:55

This is really neat. I’m going to have to try this in the coming year. :)

Eileen December 9, 2011 at 12:54

What a fun little tutorial, I have to try this out!! Thanks!

Andrea Lynne Rose December 14, 2011 at 19:25

im getting a sewing machine for christmas and Im gonna try this out first!
-andrea lynne rose

Madison February 10, 2012 at 01:28

Oh, this is so helpful! Thank you! I’ve been wearing vintage dickies lately and wanted to try making a collar like this.

Margo, Thrift at Home February 19, 2012 at 21:27

Found you through Angry Chicken and her post about the collars – these are such a fun accessory!
I tried to make 2 yesterday and I found them harder than I thought (I’m a medium-level sewer). I think the trick must be the 1/8″ trim off. When you are sewing the 2 collars together, do you match the edges??
Thank you. I made a 70s print with nosegays on it and then a blue and white shiny ticking stripe. It’s so fun to pick out buttons!

Emilia April 13, 2012 at 19:20

thank you so much for this tutorial!! i also found it via angry chicken and was so happy to finally discover such a quick & easy collar tutorial. i’ve made 2 so far, but i know i this is a classic i’ll be using over & over again – thanks again!! you can see pics of my completed collars here:
lavender velvet collar
red corduroy collar
xoxo

Samantha January 10, 2013 at 19:45

It’s snowing here and so this project is one that is simple but elegant and does not take much time. I need to look at my fabric stash now and make one. Also, could you get back with me and let me know a simple and elegant way to make some labels for the items I make for I have seen a ton of them and I need something easy that works very well to sell some of my items. Thank you and your collars are so pretty for the Fall/Winter months.

Samantha January 10, 2013 at 19:51

I have looked at your site off and on for years now and saw this Autumn Collar I had missed. I like your fur collar you do as well. Thank you for simple and elegant items to sew. I need to make one of these collars right now since we have a lot of snow here right now. I need a simple and elegant way to make some clothing labels and have seen tons of them that are used with all this equipment I am not able to use. How did you make your pretty labels? Help!

Rosemarie March 11, 2013 at 18:13

I am going to make one for my Parrot, so he can sit on my shoudler (I will make it larger) and not scratch my neck, I will attach some beads for him to peck at. This is perfect for that thanks for the pattern.

kaitlyn March 19, 2013 at 12:16

Does the pattern include a seam allowance?