guest post: harriet

Please welcome the other half of the beautiful Bright Young Twins due! Today Harriet is bringing you a delightful guest post on vintage wedding things—something I share a bit of a weakness for too. Thank you both for your lovely guest posts this week!!! – ♥ Casey

Hello! This is Harriett, the other.. slightly more unhinged half  of Bright Young Twins. I am so happy to be doing this guest post for the lovely Casey and getting to show our little part of the internet to all you wonderful ladies, (and gents… if there are any lurking about!).

So I have a confession. I have started collecting Antique wedding dresses and accessories and started wafting round my apartment in them like Miss Havisham. I don’t have a fiancé, although I was until a few months ago dangerously close. However this hasn’t dampened my enthusiasm and obsession with the romance of weddings. I thought it would be fun to share with you my little collection today, maybe any of you out there who are planning their special days will leave with a little inspiration, and those of us who aren’t… well we can just keep playing dress up!

This Thursday when taking our weekly stroll around Spitafields Antique Market in east London, I stumbled upon this beautiful 30′s veil and gloves set in their  original box. I simply couldn’t resist! The Lace is so fine and in amazing condition, I am wearing it in the first picture with a 20′s deco beaded belt as a head dress. The gloves are pure silk with 3 peal buttons each, although the fingers are a little to long for my child like hands.

Inside this box, lives the most special vintage garment in my wardrobe. An original 20′s ivory silk wedding dress. Purchased from Oxford street this would have been a very expensive item in its day!

Unfortunately it is far to delicate to display on a hanger. It is in need of some urgent repairs to the shoulder seams, however the beading is so beautiful I just had to share!

This is the dresses original belt, but i prefer to wear it as a head band.

This beautiful head dress came with the wedding gown, but I don’t think they were originally created to be worn together. The leaves are made of a silver foil, attached with wire to the band of which drapes the most delicate pink netting.

This is my 30′s silk wedding dress, that I picked up for a snip due to the staining on the back. I just fell in love with the sailor collar, net inlay and row of covered buttons.

And here’s me prancing around in it, like most of us used to in our mothers at around 8 years old. I sadly never grew out of it! Next on my list is a 20′s wax flower head dress, and a pair of silk wedding shoes!

Thanks so much for reading, I hope you all enjoyed a peek into my little wedding obsessed world!

Harriett xx

November 25, 2011 · 14 lovely thoughts
posted in guest posts · tags:

puppyloveprincess November 25, 2011 at 12:12

how magical! thanks for sharing your little wedding obsessed world!

Lynette Danburry November 25, 2011 at 12:29

What an incredible collection!

Connie @ Daydream In Color November 25, 2011 at 12:40

I love seeing all the beading details! So beautiful.

Emilie November 25, 2011 at 14:08

Oh wow!!! So much fun. I inherited of my grandmother’s wedding dress (that she kept all these years) and I came really close to wearing it to my own wedding as it actually (almost) fit me. Anyway, long story short… I’ve always known she kept it in a chest in her house and I secretely tried it on several times when I would visit. It has some staining, but otherwise I think it’s the most lovely dress and I could never find another one like it. And even now, it’s fun to try it on and prance around, so you’re not the only one who does that! (you can see it here: http://emilie-bobbinsnest.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-grandmothers-wedding-dress.html)
Thanks for the fun post.

Josie November 25, 2011 at 14:36

Your collection is amazing!! That wedding dress is beautiful!!

Laurence November 25, 2011 at 17:48

Oh! What a nice collection! I love vintage weddings. I looked at a vintage wedding dress for my special day but never managed to find one in my large size. So I wore a vintage 50′s light pink prom dress for my wedding. It was a vintage 50′s style wedding: clothes, cars, restaurant… You can see some pictures there: http://lostin1950.blogspot.com/2011/09/our-vintage-wedding.html

jessicaf November 26, 2011 at 22:59

what an unusual and yet so adorable collection, I have never seen anyone who collected wedding dresses before, mostly because people where I live don’t buy their wedding dresses they just rent it…

Lucy November 27, 2011 at 01:07

Oh, lovely. I really, really want a 50s tea-length lace dress for my wedding…good proper vintage clothes are super-hard to come by in NZ (even now our population is only 4m, so I just don’t think there would have been that many clothes to start with, and far fewer that survived!) so it’s likely I’ll have to go down the road of making it/getting it made.

I’m envious that you can find these treasures.

Alli November 27, 2011 at 06:20

Such gorgeous pieces Harriett. I love the beading ……so beautiful. And that veil is to die for……stunning. I love old wedding pieces. I have my Nons’ headpiece from when she married my Pa in the 30′s. It is just beautiful, and to see it on her in the photos and to be holding it in my hands over 80 years later is amazing. Very special :)

Lisa November 27, 2011 at 14:03

GORGeous. The Miss Havisham comment made me want to be your friend … so funny!! :-) Totally could picture it.

:-)

Renee November 27, 2011 at 14:14

Beautiful collection.

Tasha November 28, 2011 at 15:37

I love all these photos, just like something out of a vintage fairy tale. So magical and romantic! The beading on the 20s dress is amazing.

Amelia November 29, 2011 at 13:38

Antique/Vintage wedding garments and accessories really are just beautiful, thanks for sharing!