on the range skirt

06.22.11 | on the range

I’m not what you would call a “country type of gal”. I don’t really listen to country music, I’ve never been to any event that has a “western” flair to it. Don’t ever see myself owning a pair of cowboy boots either. However, I do have an affinity for 40s and 50s western wear; I blame all the westerns I grew up watching (and still love). Many is the time I’ve nearly bought a vintage 50s cowboy-inspired blouse pattern, but talked myself out of it (where the heck would I wear it?!). But I knew it was going to creep into my wardrobe at some point…Western-inspired garments were extremely popular in the late 40s through the 50s, and details from skirts with a western-flair to tooled handbags were popular in ladies fashion of the time.

06.22.11 | on the range

Enter my variation of the Ginger skirt (view 2). Yes, this is Colette Patterns skirt—I just modified it! It was on my sewing list for this summer anyway, but I had kind of planned on using a teal green linen I had. The denim this was made from was for those 40s shorts I was talking about last week. But I changed my mind after I doodled this skirt in my sketchbook late one night. You know how that happens, don’t you?

It’s not overtly “western”, but has a bit of that feel, doesn’t it? (Or am I just imagining things? If I am, don’t burst my bubble.) I adjusted the pattern to make scalloped pockets on either hip with a buttonhole, adding topstiching and buttons with a star motif. Modifications aside (which didn’t take that long to do, truthfully), this pattern proved to be amazingly easy, just as I expected. I whipped it up in just a few hours from start to finish. I seem to be on a roll with “quick” projects lately, and this one fit neatly in the list of ones I’ve completed.

06.22.11 | on the range

I managed to have my wits about me before I embarked on this crazy pattern alteration and actually document the process. I’m not sure if anyone is interested, but in the event there is one or two reading this who’d like to see the how-to, it will be posted tomorrow or Friday. The instructions could just be a jumping-off point for others sorts of shaped, hip pocket modifications too—it’s so easy to do and really changed the overall character of a skirt!

You know, I might just have to rethink that 40s blouse (if only I could find the pattern!)…

More photos here if you’d like to see!

June 22, 2011 · 93 lovely thoughts
posted in sewing · tags: , , ,

Trudy Callan June 22, 2011 at 11:06

You make a super cute cowgirl.

Sarah June 22, 2011 at 11:11

It’s gorgeous!

Kathryn June 22, 2011 at 11:13

This skirt is gorgeous – the colour and the shape look great on you and that scalloped waistband just finished it all off. Don’t worry I won’t burst your bubble, there is definitely something distinctly Western about it. I can’t believe you made it in a few hours – so talented! I hope one day my sewing skills will allow me to ‘whip up’ a skirt in a few hours – plenty more practice needed before that though!

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:54

Thank you, Kathryn! :) I would say the quickness of this project had more to do with the pattern itself than me being a “super seamstress”… hehe! It’s really simple and straight-forward!

Katie June 22, 2011 at 11:15

Love!! The details! It’s just lovely! More exclamation points!!!

Tanit-Isis June 22, 2011 at 11:28

I love the pockets echoing the waistband—definitely give it a bit of a western feel.

Clare S June 22, 2011 at 11:30

Purtiness!!!! Love it!! And yes, I definitely do get that Western vibe!

Portia June 22, 2011 at 11:35

I’m with Tanit-Isis. Love the way the pocket shaping ties in with the waistband shaping. Beautiful job as ever. Looks like you’ve had a bit of rain! That’s all we seem to be getting in the UK right now,but it’s probably cooled things off nicely for you over there. :)
Px

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:55

I wish it cooled off after rain here! ;) lol. Instead it just gets hotter and stickier–kind of what I imagine a tropical rain forest to be like. Yikes!

Lauren June 22, 2011 at 11:46

SO CUTE!!! I love Western things, especially vintage Western things. Your modifications are great! Funny, I just bought a pattern with similar pocket shape for a pair of shorts and I’m dying to make them up for summer when it gets here. :)
LOVE the button detail and topstitching, and your hair! Another brilliant outfit :)
Pretty please make that blouse! :) And then listen to some Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys ;)

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:56

I love Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys–I have a couple of songs on my iPod that I got awhile ago. hehe! Someone posted the pattern that has been re-released by Decades of Style, and I’m mighty tempted to get it so I can make that blouse… lol.

Gail June 22, 2011 at 11:47

This is one of the best Gingers I’ve seen! You look adorable, as ever!

Ann June 22, 2011 at 11:48

The scalloped pockets are a perfect alteration to the original pattern! Love!

Popbabe7 June 22, 2011 at 11:48

Can we have the pattern please?? This is soooo lovely!!

Claire (aka Seemane) June 23, 2011 at 07:22

Hi Popbabe7, The unaltered skirt pattern is by ‘Colette Patterns’ Ginger – No. 1016

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:56

Thanks Claire for jumping in with the answer! :)

Annabelle June 22, 2011 at 11:51

Very cute. I love the way you take patterns and make them your own :)

Miranda June 22, 2011 at 11:54

I need a cute vintage inspired western outfit.

I always feel sadly out of place on “go Texas Day” (yes, it’s actually a holiday in Houston), and when I go to the Rodeo. Thanks for the reminder that not all western wear requires rhinestones and fringe.

Emilie June 22, 2011 at 11:55

Love it! And it DOES have that western feel to it. You’re just missing the had and the side saddle!
I’ll be waiting to see the modification process.

Hannah June 22, 2011 at 12:00

Lovely look!

Sunni June 22, 2011 at 12:01

So darling! I’m such a cowgirl at heart and I love what you’ve done here! The pockets are such a stroke of genius! Love love! Fits you like a glove too! Totally sweet and perfect 50s cowgirl look. I love it with your hairstyle and the scarf!

Stephanie June 22, 2011 at 12:03

Cute! It think it’s western enough to fit with your cowboy boots, but you could also style it differently too. And I’d love to see the tutorial!

lap June 22, 2011 at 12:06

Yeeehaw! It’s very The Big Valley style western, like casual rancher’s wife rockin’ a bouffant. Of course Dolly Parton could add some sweet fringed gloves to country it up more.
I adore your long elegant pigtails. I love how much fun you’re having in this shoot too.

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:57

I was this close to doing a bouffant style with my hair the day I wore this… lol! ;)

Lauren June 22, 2011 at 12:11

aw shucks, you’d make a darling little cowgirl. don’t fight it – get you a couple loretta lynn records and embrace the cowboy boots. seriously, i may be a cliche nashvillian (and, ugh, may i point out that i’m a ~native~ and not some janky tourist, plz) but god i love my cowboy boots :D haha

i just recently finished this pattern as well – in denim, no less! – and i have to agree, it’s a great pattern that sews up easily & fits very well. i love your version! please please please post how you did the scalloped pockets, if it’s not a giant bother – i would love to incorporate something like that in my next ginger (because, yep, i plan on making at least half a dozen ;)

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:58

Thanks, Lauren! :) I’ll be posting about the pocket modifications sometime tomorrow (fingers crossed… we’ve been having awful internet connection problems!). So stay tuned! :)

Whitney June 22, 2011 at 12:17

Beautiful!!! I love this … and I’m oh so glad you’ll be posting a tutorial on how to add the modifications! I’ve been thinking a lot about scallops recently and really want to add them to something. Seriously. It may be an obsession. :D

Susan - Knitters Delight June 22, 2011 at 12:20

I can’t wait to see your alterations. I have made the Ginger skirt twice now, but have plans to make many more!

Sam June 22, 2011 at 12:25

That skirt is wonderful.

juebejue June 22, 2011 at 12:28

woohoo! sign me up! this is soooo cute, cant wait to make one!

Naka June 22, 2011 at 12:34

I love your hair and cute skirt ^^ i like the combo of the boots and outfit :)

the fabled needle (jen) June 22, 2011 at 12:40

I love it, it’s just the right amount of country! (I also have a denim skirt in the queue! Must be a summer thing.) And your hair is so cute like that. :)

Whistlepea June 22, 2011 at 12:42

How is your topstitching so neat? It’s really cute!

Casey June 23, 2011 at 08:59

Well, I did rip it out a couple times… I have to admit! ;) I also went really, really slow–doing contrast topstiching is a bit tricky, but well worth the time and effort. :)

Flavia June 22, 2011 at 12:43

Oh, Casey!
Please shows your process of alterations this pattern. You are awesome :)

Rachel June 22, 2011 at 12:44

Now I’m getting ideas for a restyle myself. Too cute! I love it!

Katie June 22, 2011 at 12:59

super cute skirt, great work! i grew up in “the cowboy capital of the world”, the skirt is definitely western-y. not too much though. no bubble bursting here! of course, as soon as i turned 18, i couldn’t wait to get out of town, so not much western has stayed with me. i am ok with that.

Kristen June 22, 2011 at 13:04

Wow, great modification! Its funny how such a simply modification, with fabric choice and styling, can completely alter the mood of a pattern!

Victoria/Justice Pirate June 22, 2011 at 13:15

Look at all the fun you are having in this set! I love that skirt. you are so adorable in this! It does have a slight western rockabilly type of feel to it.

Jeanine June 22, 2011 at 13:33

That is super duper! I looooove it! I live in Austin so there’s a bit of Western wear (though not a ton), and I would love to rock something like this. Please post a tute! You are fabulous, girl!!!!

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:00

I’ll be posting it tomorrow! :)

Mena June 22, 2011 at 13:36

Oh my goodness! So gorgeous. I’m on a Western kick right now and this is so going on my inspiration list!

Mrs Amber Apple June 22, 2011 at 13:38

You are too cute Casey! I love your outfit :-)

Gina June 22, 2011 at 14:17

Someday Casey you will look back at these photos and smile. I hope you see how beautiful you are. Enjoy your 20′s.

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:01

Aw, thanks…. ;) I just wish I hadn’t gotten so caught up in the crazy body-image crud that is out there in my early 20s–I do regret not living my life to it’s fullest early on! At least I still have lots more years ahead to make it up. ;)

Sarah June 22, 2011 at 14:28

Oh, that skirt is so cute!! I kind of love the little western theme. It’s just enough of a nod in that direction to be charming without being too much. The scalloping on the waistband and pockets looks adorable. I am so glad you’re going to be posting a tutorial on how to do the modifications! I love scalloped details, but I’ve never tried doing them myself before.

Your sewing adventures never cease to inspire me!

Katie June 22, 2011 at 14:36

I love western wear even though I don’t dress that way daily. Looking forward to the tutorial!

Debi June 22, 2011 at 14:59

Loooooove this! You are a sewing rockstar Casey! You inspire me so much! Thank you!!!!

Emily June 22, 2011 at 15:00

Casey this is too cute! Adore! I have that western shirt pattern and would love to do a loan if you want…I think it’s a size 14. Let me know… PS I’d be glad to make you an honorary Okie if you are up for it!

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:02

Thanks so much for the offer, Emily! :) I think someone posted a reproduction of the pattern from Decades of Style, so I might just pick up that one. But if not, I’ll keep your sweet offer in mind! :) Thank you!

Alexandra June 22, 2011 at 15:11

This skirt is absolutely to die for! It’s just enough western-y to give it a bit of a kick, I think. I would love it if you posted a how-to! I want one!

Katherine June 22, 2011 at 15:37

Yee-haw! Love your western skirt. Great stitching details, Casey, and I love the shaped waistband. It’s so stylish.

Drappa June 22, 2011 at 16:13

You are so adorable and my sewing heroine :) That skirt is fantastic. I can totally see it with cowboy boots.

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:02

Aw… I’m blushing that I’m a Sewing Heroine–thank you dear! :)

Sherry June 22, 2011 at 16:53

This is a lovely look on you – just the right amount of Western in my opinion!

Caitlin Rose June 22, 2011 at 17:22

well howdy do, you look great! I’m supper excited to hear about your modification as well ; )

Marie June 22, 2011 at 17:34

I love it! A ‘how-to’ would be great please ;o)

Marmielu June 22, 2011 at 17:44

That pocket detail is really something! But, hey, I’m seeing some red cowboy boots with this. ;)
Mom

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:03

I know… I honestly thought about you and your red cowboy boots hunt when I made this! ;)

amy k. June 22, 2011 at 17:54

okay, so cute. I love this skirt and your hair kills! I love it. and really DO get a pair of cowboy boots. I have one pair and got them in 8th grade. they still fit and even though I haven’t worn them for years, when I need them, I have them, you know? and pretty soon the girls will wear them for dress up. just get a good vintage pair, they last forever! Mine are made by Acme.

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:03

Thanks for the cowboy boots tip, Amy! I’ve been actually looking for some (just because they’d be neat to have ;) ), but have yet to find ones that will fit my wide Hobbit feet. lol. Still, hopefully one day I’ll find a pair!

Sara June 22, 2011 at 17:59

You’ve totally inspired me to try a denim ginger v. 2 but I have to say that I’m not loving the pocket variation. Look closely at the silhouette in the first photo, right on the hips is just not a flattering place for scallops I’m afraid.

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:05

Thanks for your input, Sara! I realize that the hip silhouette may not be for everyone; it’s based on styles that were popular in the late 40s and early 50s–at the height of emphasizing the wide hip during the New Look’s silhouette popularity. It’s not what would be considered a “pretty” look nowadays, but if you look at photos of movie stars from the era, they sometimes sport similar pockets/hip detailing. Just a fun little look I can play with. :)

Molly June 22, 2011 at 18:26

I love it! and your not mad, it does have a delightful western air to it. I certainly look forward to reading the How-to. Thanks!

Caitlin Herron June 22, 2011 at 18:35

what adorableness. I love the shape of the skirt and the cowboy boots! I have a pair of really nice cowboy boots but I never know how to wear them with my outfits

Casey June 23, 2011 at 09:07

I’d probably be in the same boat with cowboy boots myself, Caitlin! (Although I don’t own any… The ones I’m wearing are 70s boots and aside from the silhouette referencing the look, really aren’t proper cowboy boots. ;) )