Hello, friends! I’m still “offline” most of the day right now, but was able to snag a couple snapshots of my latest sewing project to share with you all! (Apologies for the super messy hair and tired looks–I had been through a long day when we took these!) Do you recognize this pattern I mentioned last week? It’s the Vintage Vogue #8728 reprint! I admit, this wasn’t next on my list of projects, but since I needed a quick dress that I could just throw on and not worry about it wrinkling during traveling this jersey dress fit the bill. (I know a few of you asked about a sew-along—I’m so flattered you did! Right now is not the best time for me with taking on another project, but I tried to be as thorough with the mini-review below. Please don’t’ hesitate to ask me any questions about the pattern though!)
That’s right—I got over my fear of jersey and working with knits! I used a cream blend knit that my mom had given me. It isn’t super drapey or unstable, which made it a lot easier for me to work with. I zigzagged some of the seams and used my serger on others. It was so easy! I don’t know what my issues have been with sewing knits… I don’t think I’m going to look back. lol.
The pattern itself is a dream to work with. The design looks far more complicated than the construction is. I ended up cutting a size smaller on through the bust/waist than the envelope says is suitable for my measurement. For the bodice I cut out two sizes smaller. This is because I (rightly) suspected the gathering would be too much if I went by my “size”. I love Vogue patterns because they print the finished bust, waist, and hip measurements which helps when determining what size to cut out. After years of sewing, I’ve figured out the amounts of ease I feel are most flattering and comfortable for me. I also shortened the skirt 3”, but no surprises there—that is a typical adjustment I have to make.
The pattern comes with two side closure options: a snap placket (so fun—I’ve done a couple of those on lightweight dresses) or a centered zipper. I thought about switching to my favorite lapped zipper method, but since I was working with a stretch I thought better of it and just went with the centered zipper. Why a zipper as opposed to snaps? Partly because I felt the knit was stable enough to handle the adding weight of a zipper tape, and also because I didn’t have time to sew on a bunch of little snaps!
Construction was amazingly easy; I think an intermediate seamstress could whip this up easily in a few evenings of sewing. The most “tricky” part of the pattern was just making sure the gathers were evenly distributed and attaching the neckline binding. This pattern is going in my “sew again” stack. I think it would be lovely in another knit or even a woven. Though frankly the knit thing is really appealing to me—it’s easy to wear but this design doesn’t look like a sack. In fact, I feel a bit like glamorous movie star from the 40s wearing this dress! hehe.
More pictures of the dress are here if you’d like a peek!