holiday cheer

It’s the little details of the holidays that always get me. Presents prettily wrapped. Finding the perfect dress to wear on Christmas Day (or finding one stuffed away in a box and rediscovering it!), buying the yearly ornament, crafting up little bits and bobs to decorate the house or myself with… I’ve been toning down things a bit here so I don’t get too exhausted by the frenetic pace I tend to keep up right before Christmas. (which is laughable, I know–humor me and my delusions), so I’ve been focusing on little projects that are easy to tackle in an evening or less.

First up was wrapping! Now granted, we don’t have a ton of recipients for gifts. Nor do we have children yet, so I can do coordinating presents and not worry too much about my wrapping not being appreciated. lol. I really like making packages pretty–it’s something I do for occasions other than Christmas and for Etsy purchases. I also like doing it on the cheap. Which doesn’t mean tacky and shabby of course; it’s amazing what I can throw together that reads “holidays” but uses a lot of supplies I have around the house already. This year I went for a simple scheme using brown kraft paper (already had), red and white baker’s twine (stash), red and white stars (punched using a hole puncher I picked up at JoAnns, but the paper and string were in the paper box) and simple round gift tags I made. The punched and strung stars may look a bit complicated, but they weren’t that time-consuming–just a bit fiddly. I do like the finished look though–and hope the recipients do too!

Now after that little jab at tacky, I do have a few things to show you that do border a bit on tacky. I can’t help it–I do like a bit of gaudiness and kitsch during the holidays; bright colors and a smattering of glitter always seem apropos! But it’s not something I usually gravitate towards, so I though I’d kitsch-things-up for myself this year with a couple glittery headbands and a sparkling deer. Don’t laugh… my sister already did when I told her what I had done. lol. The headbands were inspired by this gorgeous one that Erin sported last week (which looks far better and somehow normal on her than me!), and just consisted of headbands I covered (using my tutorial) and stitched some glittered foliaged I picked up on sale. Easy!

The reindeer brooch is kind of a tradition for me. A couple years ago I bought a bird ornament after Christmas and turned it into a necklace. As someone of acquaintance at the time astutely observed: “only you would go around wearing a bird as a necklace!”. True, very true. In the spirit of my adoration of slightly madcap accessories, I found this sparkly reindeer ornament at JoAnns last week. A few snips to remove the hanger, a bit of hot glue and a couple of good-sized pin backs (yes, it needs two), and voila! Instant Christmas brooch. I shall revel in my tackiness and gleefully embrace it until January 2, when all my gaudy things go back into hibernation until next Christmas.

Have you been working on any little holiday projects? Do share!

December 16, 2010 · 51 lovely thoughts
posted in creativity,holidays · tags: ,

Christie December 16, 2010 at 06:21

aawwwww – the little reindeer in the last pictures is my favourite! xx

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:30

Thanks!!! I rather adore him right now… Just tried on an outfit with a cotton candy pink sweater and pinned the reindeer brooch on it and it’s even more adorable! hehe.

Debi December 16, 2010 at 06:40

Ohhhh…I love the headbands! And your hair looks fabulous!! I agree that it’s the small touches that are so lovely!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:31

Aw, thank you, Debi! This is my new, favorite way to wear my hair lately… Plus it keeps it out of the way. ;)

Suzie December 16, 2010 at 07:09

LOVE everything in this post – you are so creative! Love love love love love! :)

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:31

Aw, thank you Suzie!

Claire (aka seemane) December 16, 2010 at 07:47

Love the jewellery/hair accessorier… but where did Rudolph’s red nose disappear to ;) !

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:11

haha! He does need a red nose, doesn’t he? ;)

Marmielu December 16, 2010 at 07:56

I’m loving that reindeer pin!!!! Yes, I heard about it after the phone call. Your presents looks so nice, and that part of your post brought to my mind the many Christmas Eve’s spent at Nana and Grandad’s…………..and the mass ripping of wrapping paper by lots (as in 12+) small people! Somehow those memories are very comforting now.
Mom

Casey December 16, 2010 at 18:00

I’ve been thinking a lot about that Christmas Eve craziness when I was little recently! ;) Just think… one day that’ll be at your house with grandkids! ;)

Marmielu December 16, 2010 at 07:57

Oops! I meant to ask – did Sailor Hubby take those photos?
Mom

lap December 16, 2010 at 08:16

I’ve a thing for Christmas brooches, and my obsession this year was poinsettias. I have a lovely etsy purchase on it’s way, but I love the simplicity of the oversized reindeer silhouette. It gives me wreath & snowman ideas! You are excessively adorable in the amused expression portraits too. They scream “Look what I’ve been up to!”

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:12

Oh! I love the idea of wreaths and snowmen as well… This could be bad. hehe!

Renee December 16, 2010 at 08:22

Ahhh, that’s not tacky. I think at Christmas tacky goes out the window. I love what you did with the pkg. I USED to make things for pkgs, but nowadays its just cute paper and a name on it:) I did made some cute paper stockings to put gift cards in.

Your hair is very pretty and I think the headbands are cute. I like the reindeer, too.

Just in case you want to see cuteness in a little pkg I have a picture of my grand with a snowflake headband her pen pal sent her (her pen pal is a friend of mine and Liv loves writing her notes, stories, drawing pictures etc).

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:16

I `couldn’t agree more, Renee about Christmas time and tacky! ;) I’m all for glitter and multi-colored lights and general fun!

Miss P December 16, 2010 at 08:25

You have tread the line between tacky or adorably kitsch, but you have not crossed it!!!
I ADORE the reindeer and LOVE the idea of the garland made from punched stars.
Fabulous as ever!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:16

Whew–I’m so glad everyone didn’t think I crossed the tackiness line! ;) I tend to err on the side of caution with it, but sometimes I do go a bit wild… haha!

Sally December 16, 2010 at 09:09

Who’s laughing? Those headbands are absolutely gorgeous!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:24

Thanks, Sal!!! ;)

Becca December 16, 2010 at 09:13

I love how your headbands have turned out, they look so pretty! As does your gift wrapping! Simple, but festive and lovely.

Amanda December 16, 2010 at 09:24

I love thispost!!! Kitschy christams wear is tops! I am currently sitting here with two poinsetta’s and a christmas ornament pinned in my hair. Long live the Christmas accesory!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:26

I love the idea of wearing a Christmas ornament and poinsettias in your hair! May have to steal that… ;)

Jill December 16, 2010 at 09:43

These are such darling details! I especially love that reindeer!

Sabrina Clementine December 16, 2010 at 11:38

I don’t think it’s tacky at all! (Maybe that’s just a testament to my bad taste? lol) Or perhaps it’s the model….but I think it all looks super classy when you wear it! My BF’s holiday party is tonight….even though it’s not a fancy affair, maybe I’ll run over to JoAnn’s too and make myself a new headband or pin!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:26

Thank you, Sabrina! :) Oh–glittery headbands definitely make the best party wear–hope you were able to make one! ;)

Chelsea December 16, 2010 at 14:43

Kitsch is more than acceptable in December. Mandatory, even. I love the curls piled up behind the glitzy leaf! +Chelsea

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:27

“Mandatory Kitsch”… I think I should put a sign up that says that every December. ;) lol.

calivintage December 16, 2010 at 14:43

yay! i’m so happy to have inspired you. though i probably shouldn’t take credit, since it was my mom who made them for me. i think they look quite natural and lovely on you! just beautiful!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:28

Please thank your mom for the inspiration, Erin! :) I am definitely loving seeing how you’ve been wearing yours–so cute!

Victoria / Justice Pirate December 16, 2010 at 14:58

I love your smile. These are great items made. I loved Erin’s mom’s creations too! You made your own just lovely!!! The little brooch (well big brooch) is so sweet!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 18:01

Thank you, Victoria!! :)

ann December 16, 2010 at 15:08

So love the reindeer pin! You’re adorable with it!
I did the brown craft paper one year – very rustic. The past couple of years though, I’ve been really good about snatching up goodies during the after Christmas clearance sales. So it only looks like I spent a bunch on wrapping (shhh!)

Casey December 16, 2010 at 17:29

I have to admit part of the reason I went with the kraft paper is because I totally forgot to stock up last year! :p And we had guests, so rushing out the day after (which is pretty much a tradition for me ;) ) wouldn’t have worked. Maybe this year though! :D

Tilly December 16, 2010 at 15:14

Oh Casey, such pretty things! I particularly love the foliage head band – you look like a Greek goddess (in a good way)!

Lindsay December 16, 2010 at 16:52

I have been making gingerbread men and knitting snuggling (and maybe embarassing) christmas sweaters for my little dog!

The foliage headbands are great – I always love to add in some kitsch to the holidays as well!

Casey December 16, 2010 at 18:02

How cute that you’re knitting a little Christmas sweater for your dog! ;)

Eileen December 16, 2010 at 17:37

Fabulous! I think your accessories suit you and are not at all gaudy. Hmm. . . who’s that prezzie for? ;)

Casey December 16, 2010 at 18:02

haha! I knew you’d spot that! ;) I can’t wait to give you your present! ;)

Jiji December 16, 2010 at 18:00

I am quite a fan of your deer brooch. I too have been crafting up a storm, I get rather crafty at Christmas and my latest project has been holly brooches made out of felt. You can click on my link to take a look. :) http://themoldycannoli.blogspot.com/2010/12/holly-pins.html

Casey December 16, 2010 at 18:03

Those holly brooches are gorgeous, Jiji! I am in love with the colors! ;)

Sarah December 16, 2010 at 19:05

Hi there Casey! I’ve been following your blog for a while now, but since I don’t have a blog personally, I thought I couldn’t leave comments. Haha I just realized that I can!

Anyway, you are very lovely! Everything about you is sooo adorable!! I enjoy the outfit posts the most because I get to see your outfit creations! :D

Be prepared to receive comments from little ol’ me, now that I’ve learned that I can! hehe

Take care!

PS: Make more youtube videos! :D

The Cupcake Goddess December 16, 2010 at 21:46

Oh you are a treat! I simply adore the package wrapping, headbands and brooch. Something that I would never have considered as I work in an environment with older women who do sport sweaters with extremely tacky santas flopping about all over. Oh dear! Did I just type that? Your creations aren’t even remotely tacky and now I’m in want! Coveting! Needing! At least a little kitsch to boost my mood. I think if I made some earrings from vintage christmas ornaments and donned them with something sparkly my festive mood might just increase this year. Gosh, you’ve got such novel ideas! Love.

xoxo,
Sunni

Lottie December 16, 2010 at 23:20

You do make me smile :-) I went to JoAnns for the first time today and was quite lost in heaven. It is incredible how over here you have shops full to bursting with fabric and craft items. I can’t tell you how difficult it is to buy fabric in the UK. There is one well known department store that has a tiny, and I mean tiny, section of stupidly expensive and gaudy fabrics and that’s it! It’s a nightmare. I am so praying that The Magician has delivered and I find a new (US) sewing machine under the tree on Christmas Day.
I love the hair pieces – fun! x

elise December 17, 2010 at 00:14

pish posh – the fern head band is darling!

Rhia December 17, 2010 at 09:58

It is absolutely fabulous idea to make jewelry of christmas decoration. It is something I have been thinking about doing couple years now but it never got any further. I even have a stash of black xmas three decorations waiting to be turned into goth-style necklaces. I love your fernleaf headband. And the raindeer brooch is adorable aswell. =) I haven’t had any time to do any christmas projecst of my own (except chandelier I did earlier) since I’ve been traveling. And only one week to go… Should I panic now?

Gracie December 18, 2010 at 15:40

Aw the brooch is wonderful!

Natalie Peeters December 18, 2010 at 16:13

You really inspire me Casey!
I’ve been reading your blog for a while and I love all the things you make…
The reindeer pin you made is so cute and the headbands look really great too…

Merry Christmas!
Natalie

Janine December 20, 2010 at 10:11

hi casey, i am new to the blog world and just found you :) I love your hair in these photos, and I am wondering if you use pin curls? Your curls are PERFECT; if they’re pin curls I am seriously impressed! All of my attempts have been pretty bent and demented looking, ha. Tell a sister your technique!

Rebecca December 21, 2010 at 11:36

I don’t think the leaf headbands are tacky at all! They’re beautiful and creative! But then, I like almost anything with leaves. Great idea!

Jasmine Sahlén December 25, 2010 at 16:08

I saw u at youtube.com, helping me getting my hair done (thank you so much for that). I just wan’t to say that you really sparkling. You are so beautiful and seems like a fantastic person :)

Keep up the good work
Fortsätt kämpa och fortsatt lycka till i framtiden :)

Ha det gott / Take god care
From a Swedish Jasmine Sahlén :)

Jen December 26, 2010 at 19:18

Everything is cute, Casey, but I ESPECIALLY like the reindeer brooch! It’s fabulous! There is never anything wrong with a healthy sprinkling of kitsch. It keeps us humble and giggling. ;)

Hope you and yours had a beautiful Christmas; enjoy your blogging vacation.